What's new

Horn coral, leg spur, antler? Barnacle

IndianRiverSonrise

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
270
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Various
I don't know if the barnacle is a fossil or just a big modern barnacle.

But primarily what I wanted to ask about is the smaller piece. I don't know what it is. I mentioned three guesses in the title. What do you think?

On what might be considered the base is a solid surface, and on one side there is the remnant of what appears to be the original surface, but I think most of the surface has worn off.

It was found on a central Florida beach.
 

Attachments

  • barn 002.webp
    barn 002.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 278
  • barn 001.webp
    barn 001.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 220
Re: Horn coral, leg spur, antler? Barnacle (Bigger photos added)

IndianRiverSonrise said:
I don't know if the barnacle is a fossil or just a big modern barnacle.

But primarily what I wanted to ask about is the smaller piece. I don't know what it is. I mentioned three guesses in the title. What do you think?

On what might be considered the base is a solid surface, and on one side there is the remnant of what appears to be the original surface, but I think most of the surface has worn off.

It was found on a central Florida beach.
 

Attachments

  • horn2.webp
    horn2.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 233
  • horn.webp
    horn.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 248
Re: Horn coral, leg spur, antler? Barnacle (Bigger photos added)

IndianRiverSonrise said:
IndianRiverSonrise said:
I don't know if the barnacle is a fossil or just a big modern barnacle.

But primarily what I wanted to ask about is the smaller piece. I don't know what it is. I mentioned three guesses in the title. What do you think?

On what might be considered the base is a solid surface, and on one side there is the remnant of what appears to be the original surface, but I think most of the surface has worn off.

It was found on a central Florida beach.
None of your three guesses seems likely. All three are very dense bone with a thick surface and little cancellous bone in the middle. Your object seems to have a large amount of cancellous bone. If I had to guess the nature of your object, I would guess that it is the abraded centrum of a vertebra.
 
Yes, one looks like two goose barnacles and the other a peice of a vert. 8) 8) 8) :icon_thumleft:
 
Worthy55 said:
Yes, one looks like two goose barnacles and the other a peice of a vert. 8) 8) 8) :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for the info.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom