What's new

Horse pendant

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
2,197
Reaction score
20
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
My friend Derrell found this with his Explorer and I'm just curious about what it is. I know or assume its a pendant, just wondering if there is more to it?? I'm also posting an Army insignia that he found as well!
 

Attachments

  • 041009jws 006a.webp
    041009jws 006a.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 041009jws 007a.webp
    041009jws 007a.webp
    20 KB · Views: 218
  • 041009jws 008a.webp
    041009jws 008a.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 226
Is there a post on the back of the military item? Without seeing the back I'm guessing it is a military police collar disc.
 
Upvote 0
oldfireguy said:
Is there a post on the back of the military item? Without seeing the back I'm guessing it is a military police collar disc.

I agree completely... as old as 1923 or newer.
 
Upvote 0
The pendant is a take-off on a coin of Greek sphere of influence in the 4th century BC. Probably Sicily or Carthage. The head is Persephone, crowned with barley and surrounded by dolphins. The horse head and palm is a common theme throughout the area. Sometimes, the palm is behind a running or standing horse. Sometimes arranged like yours. I think they kind of faked the script, which doesn't really look like anything authentic. This one is typical:
thumb00225.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom