What's new

Horse piece?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any ideas what this is? ???
 

Attachments

  • wayland 003.webp
    wayland 003.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 610
  • wayland 004.webp
    wayland 004.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 554
  • wayland 005.webp
    wayland 005.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 558
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=4456&cat=all
32mm - similar size I think. Although this one is slightly decorated, I have had several plain ones.
The UKDFD came to the same conclusion - Horse or Furniture fitting (but its a mystery to them as well), which means its not referenced in any books! I checked mine & only came up with a similar furniture decoration.

So in answer to the original question - yes it could be a horse piece :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=4456&cat=all
32mm - similar size I think. Although this one is slightly decorated, I have had several plain ones.
The UKDFD came to the same conclusion - Horse or Furniture fitting (but its a mystery to them as well), which means its not referenced in any books! I checked mine & only came up with a similar furniture decoration.

So in answer to the original question - yes it could be a horse piece :icon_thumright:
:icon_thumleft:

The bottom piece pertroodes to far out for it to be a Button.... :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
I am in mass and I found it on farm land. The farm was built in mid 1800's, but the town was one of the original colonies in mass, early 1600's. I believe it would be more probable to re horse related. There seems to be a hint of a thread, so maybe a possible draw knob. :dontknow:
You post is still amazing timekiller. I am just not convinced its a button. :'(
g
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
I am in mass and I found it on farm land. The farm was built in mid 1800's, but the town was one of the original colonies in mass, early 1600's. I believe it would be more probable to re horse related. There seems to be a hint of a thread, so maybe a possible draw knob. :dontknow:
You post is still amazing timekiller. I am just not convinced its a button. :'(
g
Hey it's all good buddy it's your opinion! :thumbsup: But I will say this my three are not 19th-20 century.Nothing from this site even came close to that date for me.Mine match to a tee the size shape of these repos. Also to many other things going against it for me.Nothing against know one but I for sure am not sold on the other ideas! :wink:

All these shots of theres is 1/4" grid as stated above!Which means mine match very well to them!
1) 1 1/8" or 30mm
2) 1" 26mm (Ornately embellished and occasionally silver plated or gilded cast brass or bronze types like those shown at right are considerably larger and generally more carefully crafted than their more prosaic counterparts. These may have seen use as officers' or gentlemen's cape or cloak buttons rather than as functional coat fasteners of the period.

3) 1 1/16" 27mm
4) & 5) other finds from this site never found one thing that was 19th 20th century!
 

Attachments

  • stdpn3sm[1].webp
    stdpn3sm[1].webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 263
  • Studbumpsm[1].webp
    Studbumpsm[1].webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 257
  • studrmsm[1].webp
    studrmsm[1].webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN0963.webp
    DSCN0963.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 293
  • stdpn3sm[1].webp
    stdpn3sm[1].webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCN0964.webp
    DSCN0964.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Studbumpsm[1].webp
    Studbumpsm[1].webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN0965.webp
    DSCN0965.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 302
  • studrmsm[1].webp
    studrmsm[1].webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN0967.webp
    DSCN0967.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN0968.webp
    DSCN0968.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN0966.webp
    DSCN0966.webp
    61.7 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0
You got sum nice stuff time killer!!!! I find the frying pan style + others in pensacola also.I think the guys in th UK not use to finding much spanish stuff..I dont think the french or english made these type wire shank buttons in the 1600s-1700? I never see them ,,,,,,,,,only the spanish ....
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
You got sum nice stuff time killer!!!! I find the frying pan style + others in pensacola also.I think the guys in th UK not use to finding much spanish stuff..I dont think the french or english made these type wire shank buttons in the 1600s-1700? I never see them ,,,,,,,,,only the spanish ....

Well if they were all spanish buttons I would be more than used to it, I get them all the time :D

Not saying that TK's are not Spanish, there are clearly similar items for different uses.
 
Upvote 0
There is no doubt in my mind that timekillers are early Spanish colonial buttons.


I think the grids on the button pics are 1/4 inch for comparison.
 

Attachments

  • button spanish.webp
    button spanish.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 192
  • button spanish.webp
    button spanish.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
There is no doubt in my mind that timekillers are early Spanish colonial buttons.


I think the grids on the button pics are 1/4 inch for comparison.

I agree.

But we are trying to ID the one in the post.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
bigcypresshunter said:
There is no doubt in my mind that timekillers are early Spanish colonial buttons.


I think the grids on the button pics are 1/4 inch for comparison.

I agree.

But we are trying to ID the one in the post.
:icon_thumleft: which isn't a button :)

SS
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
Lets see the way the build up & wire shanks look on the buttons you have crusader?

I don't keep plain ones.

I'll show you my patterned buttons. :wink:

PS. just noticed while looking in my junk drawer that the horse blinkers have the same attachments.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    47.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
::)

Bottom three are buttons, top three like the one posted :wink:

SS
 

Attachments

  • bc 001.webp
    bc 001.webp
    51.7 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0
The top 3 are older buttons,before they went with the drill shank....They knew the wire buttons didnt hold up very well
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
The top 3 are older buttons,before they went with the drill shank....They knew the wire buttons didnt hold up very well
The top three are caps...Horse or Furniture related :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
RELICDUDE07 said:
The top 3 are older buttons,before they went with the drill shank....They knew the wire buttons didnt hold up very well

Its not before they went to drilled shanks as Britain started that in the 15th century.
You are right though some of these including a couple in my picture are thought to be 17th century which used to have seperate soldered drawn iron shanks (NB. books says 'whether true buttons or cloak-fasteners is uncertain') But the only 3 pictured are the bullseye design & two other highly decorated types - range from 26.5mm-32mm.
 
Upvote 0
Hey Cru,SS :hello: Not trying to be hard headed! :laughing9: But had a question or two! :help: You keep saying caps as I guess for the end of something like maybe a chair I guess.So do you think that those pieces would be strong enough for a threaded shank in the middle to hold up going into say wood?Also I can't see it ever being flush down on something either! :help: If not I'm guessing again and thinking you are saying something like a drawer pull which in that case I would think you would not be able to get your fingers behind the narrow gap to be very easy to pull on and seems thin and weak for that!Horse related were at can't see these small objects covering a big old horses eye.Just trying to follow what you guy's are seeing!

Also found this thought it was funny when looking for a Blinker! :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • blinders[1].webp
    blinders[1].webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
timekiller said:
Hey Cru,SS :hello: Not trying to be hard headed! :laughing9: But had a question or two! :help: You keep saying caps as I guess for the end of something like maybe a chair I guess.So do you think that those pieces would be strong enough for a threaded shank in the middle to hold up going into say wood?Also I can't see it ever being flush down on something either! :help: If not I'm guessing again and thinking you are saying something like a drawer pull which in that case I would think you would not be able to get your fingers behind the narrow gap to be very easy to pull on and seems thin and weak for that!Horse related were at can't see these small objects covering a big old horses eye.Just trying to follow what you guy's are seeing!

Also found this thought it was funny when looking for a Blinker! :laughing7:
Don't see why they wouldn't be strong enough Pete once into the Wood :P the third picture in the thread gives it away for me, it looks like a screw fitting for wood and to high for a button shank :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
timekiller said:
Hey Cru,SS :hello: Not trying to be hard headed! :laughing9: But had a question or two! :help: You keep saying caps as I guess for the end of something like maybe a chair I guess.So do you think that those pieces would be strong enough for a threaded shank in the middle to hold up going into say wood?Also I can't see it ever being flush down on something either! :help: If not I'm guessing again and thinking you are saying something like a drawer pull which in that case I would think you would not be able to get your fingers behind the narrow gap to be very easy to pull on and seems thin and weak for that!Horse related were at can't see these small objects covering a big old horses eye.Just trying to follow what you guy's are seeing!

Also found this thought it was funny when looking for a Blinker! :laughing7:

I've never said caps.
The point of me saying they have the same construction technique as the horse blinkers is not because they are blinkers but it shows they could have gone on leather.
They also would go flush on to any wood as decoration, doesn't need to be strong.

I'll ask you - what are all my funny shaped ones of different sizes/shapes?
(which don't include the many plains ones of different sizes larger than 33mm.)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom