What's new

Horse piece?

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
Any ideas what this is? ???
 

Attachments

  • wayland 003.webp
    wayland 003.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 610
  • wayland 004.webp
    wayland 004.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 554
  • wayland 005.webp
    wayland 005.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 558
CRUSADER said:
I'll ask you - what are all my funny shaped ones of different sizes/shapes?[/b] (which don't include the many plains ones of different sizes larger than 33mm.)
I agree, your funny shaped ones are not buttons. Not drawer pulls or blinders but some kind of horse or furniture decoration.
 
Upvote 0
Having horses and being around them all my life, also if I had my grandfathers old saddles I could show you the back, but here are some examples....with that large shank IMO it looks like a concho.

http://www.highdesertsilver.com/conchos.html

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/conchos/index.htm

Conchos on an antique saddle:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Spanish...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b15d9584

Not exactly the same, but you get the idea (plain concho):
"ORIGINAL, ANTIQUE, ORNATE, SPANISH COLONIAL 'CHILENO' RING BIT"
http://www.gnwtc.com/colonialroom2.htm
http://www.gnwtc.com/sc231.JPG

Making a concho:
http://www.westernfolklife.org/weblogs/artists/watt/metal_arts/
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
CRUSADER said:
I'll ask you - what are all my funny shaped ones of different sizes/shapes?[/b] (which don't include the many plains ones of different sizes larger than 33mm.)
I agree, your funny shaped ones are not buttons. Not drawer pulls or blinders but some kind of horse or furniture decoration.

Thanks, thats all I was trying to point out all along. I never disagreed that some are buttons including TKs examples but we clearly have many similar constructed items which the experts can only conclude the same as us they they must have gone on leather or wood.

I thank the poster (Garabaldi) for getting a great debate open & it has been another interesting one to research. I have leant alot from it & may move a couple of my misc pieces into my button collection ;D

This kind of interaction & questioning which Tnet facilitates helps us all understand some commonly found items which no-one is sure how they were used. We as detectorists are paving the way :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
You guys are toooo funny & always right ,no matter what it takes....LMAO- Everything round is not a button,some look like draw pulls ----but you need more build up on the back of the shaft to have clearance for your fingers... Some go in leather ?maybe ---------- Maybe leather coats .
 

Attachments

  • Picture or Video 005.webp
    Picture or Video 005.webp
    109.9 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom