What's new

House Foundation maybe? you decide

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Some of you may remember me asking advice if I should dig this location or not. Since it's right on one of the major highways. Well Here is pictures of it, it seems to be a small stone wall in a hill, looks like it may be a good spot to go. It sits exactly halfway between UPS and VDOT. Which the sign on the last picture is the road going to VDOT. But this thing isn't connected to either, it's a seperate property so it may be county owned. I am going to try to pull up a parcel on it and see who owns it and see if its a historical spot or not, because 1/4 mile away is a big historic area.
Code:
 

Attachments

  • spot1.webp
    spot1.webp
    69.3 KB · Views: 333
  • spot2.webp
    spot2.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 311
  • spot3.webp
    spot3.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 327
Re: Pictures from this new spot

Ok it's really unclear who's property it is, without finding a land marker. It looks like it could be VDOTS but not sure. I labeled UPS and VDOT where the buildings are, and the start is the spot, it might not be perfect, but close to that area.
 

Attachments

  • parcel.webp
    parcel.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 302
Re: Pictures from this new spot

I'd bet there was a house around there somewhere. That definately looks like an old rootcellar.

It might, however, be a moot point. How's your detector around power lines? The ones in the pic look pretty darn close to your find.

Al
 
Re: Pictures from this new spot

Sometimes it goes off with power lines and sometimes it doesn't. I guess either it depends on how powerful they are, how many people are using it, or if there is an underground line. I don't know but sometimes I have great luck and others nothing but false signals.

It's like a little wall, so could have been a house foundation. I wanted to get closer, but I'd need to get a running start and jump over a wide ditch which in this cold, I wasn't feeling like doing.
 
It looks like a barn foundation, it could be one of the earth and rock ramps that leads up to the second floor of a barn. I've seen a lot of them in New England on old farms.
 
Knock on doors, see if you can find the owners & get written permission, that sign with no trespassing after hours would be why you would need it!
 
seger98 said:
Knock on doors, see if you can find the owners & get written permission, that sign with no trespassing after hours would be why you would need it!

There is no houses, it's on UPS or Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.
 
relichunters said:
seger98 said:
Knock on doors, see if you can find the owners & get written permission, that sign with no trespassing after hours would be why you would need it!

There is no houses, it's on UPS or Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.


They don't have doors? :icon_scratch:
 
Yeah but for VDOT it's an instant no, no matter what. which is why I am hoping it's not on their property.
 
Go during office hours. Looks like an orange vest and hardhat would work good here.
 

Attachments

  • vesthat.webp
    vesthat.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 198
mick56 said:
Go during office hours. Looks like an orange vest and hardhat would work good here.


Fantastic idea, no one would even bother to ask why you are there, if they did you could just say you are locating all underground wires! Have some little flags with you too.
 
Now that you have published a map to the place, were I you, I'd go out there today and start MDing.

You don't and someone else will. The very worst that could happen is someone telling you you can't and asking you to leave.
 
My best resource is the atlas from 1879 of my county. I've looked for an old atlas from your county online and couldn't find one. Go to your local library or historical society and look for maps that show where houses were located in the 1800's. It will be your most valuable asset.

Here's an example of what a page would look like.
 

Attachments

  • ElkWebb.webp
    ElkWebb.webp
    133 KB · Views: 186
@mona I have access to old maps but can't understand them.
 
Just go and ask around. The worst thing that can happen is they would say "NO."

Don't detect it without permission. Bad idea. :nono:
 
Eddie08 said:
It looks like a barn foundation, it could be one of the earth and rock ramps that leads up to the second floor of a barn. I've seen a lot of them in New England on old farms.
i agree with Eddie it looks like a small barn or out building and those were usually within view of tha old homestead
 
not sure if this will help but it has worked for me when I can't find owners. I usually have a Sanford map or/and other old maps of the area, my notebook , voice activated tape recorder and my cameras. ( also any scans from the library with your research of the area) I go into it as if I was writing a story etc. Taking notes looking at the map and taking pics. If a owner does happen by you have enough ammunition to show that you are a responsible person plus with the pics and notes along with a few finds from the location you could make a real nice display for them for allowing you to continue your hunt.
You can find several real nice ideas on displays from some of the others here. ( use the search ) I wish you luck on your hunt. Digger2

I do not use this ploy unless all other ideas to find owners fail.
 
I just got back from detecting it, find some old nails, they are too dirty right now to tell if they were hand forged or not, and some junk. Only dug 5 targets because the ground is frozen lots of ice in it, so I quit for now and will come back. Nobody stopped or said a word to me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom