What's new

How about a Box Plate to back up my Sword Belt Plate?

strycker

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
59
Reaction score
104
Golden Thread
0
Location
Winchester, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD, White's TDI, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coming off my last outing and managing to pull my first Eagle sword belt plate, I managed to dig another plate! It was purely random. Same story as before. Trimmed out some overgrown weeds, mowed down the grass and raked it clean. Went about detecting in the iron grunts when I got a nice little squeak. Decided to poke around and see what I might find. Nail after nail came out the hole UNTIL...somehow, once again off the center of the hole I dug, about 3 inches away and 6 inches down, a whitish surface appeared. Managed to miss this one too with my shovel and it came out pretty sweet. The back loops are long gone and the edge is a tiny rusty, but it's another find I can check off the list. US Oval Box Plate! Now I need to locate that eagle breastplate that had to be with it at some point. Still can't get over two plates in a WEEK! And maybe 20 yards apart. You just never know!
Plate 2.webp Plate Cleaned.webp
Plate Ground.webp Plate.webp
 
Upvote 32
You my friend, are on a roll. There should certainly be more there to be found :thumbsup:
 
Excellent find!!!
 
Heck of a hotspot...
Get er done.
Watchin for updates.
 
It's Virginia. Where CW relics are concerned, anything is possible in your neck of the woods.
 
Wow you are rolling bro. Makes you not wanna go to work and just hunt huh? I know the feeling 8-)
 
I do know the feeling. Sunday morning was up early and out the door. Only managed a .69 Minie and some little oddball stuff. No more plates (yet) .. the iron just drives me crazy at the site. Going to have to dig a 2x2 ft hole and just see whats under the soil I think. No doubt something else has to be hiding there.

Last hunt finds: Not shown, harmonica reed and iron buckles
IMG_7622.webp
 
Last edited:
Super "Hot Spot" you have found there :occasion14: Strycker !! Bet more fantastic relics will turn up there soon :metaldetector::headbang:
 
I do know the feeling. Sunday morning was up early and out the door. Only managed a .69 Minie and some little oddball stuff. No more plates (yet) .. the iron just drives me crazy at the site. Going to have to dig a 2x2 ft hole and just see whats under the soil I think. No doubt something else has to be hiding there.

That VERY method is how I found my first plate. It can be a huge disappointment, and very tiring, but it can also pay off BIG.

IMG_4803.webp
 
Nicely done! WTG! Congrats!
You probably will find the eagle plate to go with those! GL. HH!
 
Nicely done! WTG! Congrats!
You probably will find the eagle plate to go with those! GL. HH!

That is my hope! I will have to dig a lot of iron to get underneath it to see what might be lurking there still. Even low and slow with the 5x8 coil, all I hear is the nails and rust.
 
Wonder what happened to have both those plates there, so many years ago
 
Super Nice Plate!!! - Congratulations! You are on a Roll.
 
Pretty box plate. Makes you wonder what else is hiding in that iron, might be a spot worth doing some sifting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom