What's new

How are the layers of a 40% silver-clad coin fused?

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
I understand 40% silver-clad half-dollar coins consist of three separate layers of metal. The inner layer is 20.9% silver and 79.1% copper. The outer layers are each 80% silver and 20% copper. The 11.5 gram half-dollar coin has an average 40% silver and 60% copper content. Does anyone know how the three separate layers of metal are bonded together?
 
Upvote 0
Good question.

As far as i know they start out as sheets and the planchets are punched out. but the bonding process I'm not i the know.

I have had a cople of 40's that have seperated though. I would imagine that there is a heating and pressing process though.?

Mojo
 
they just lie, all 40%ers are really copper-nickel, or 90% silver, its one or the other, they just think its fun to lie to everyone to confuse them. :laughing9:
 
The coin shaped planchets are punched from sheets of co-extruded metal which have been rolled to the proper thickness depending on denomination.
 
TXTim said:
The coin shaped planchets are punched from sheets of co-extruded metal which have been rolled to the proper thickness depending on denomination.
I've had a couple of %40's rubbed almost smooth- saw not a hint of copper in them, and many that have been drilled thru again not a hint of copper in them.
 
obediah said:
TXTim said:
The coin shaped planchets are punched from sheets of co-extruded metal which have been rolled to the proper thickness depending on denomination.
I've had a couple of %40's rubbed almost smooth- saw not a hint of copper in them, and many that have been drilled thru again not a hint of copper in them.

I've seen the same with many modern clad coins too.
Drilling can produce heat, drag and melt the clad layers through the hole.

Check out this site:

http://www.cladmetal.com/overlay.htm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom