how big a part does research really play

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Just wondering how big a part reashearing a site plays in relation to the finds that are found. Ive got a site in mind hotspot from around 1820-1960 very little hunting if any I've spent hours checking my facts very carefully comparing now and then photos using google earth and chatting to local people. The only thing is its going to take a decent detector with a 15inch wot coil so early next year I will aquire the right kit and hopefully have some good pics and a roller coaster blocking busting mother of all stories to tell. So have any members done the research and reaped the fruit as it were.

Research for me is half the enjoyment of preparing to hit a new spot... Some loath it, I'm sure.

If all you detect are schools, parks, and your back yard then no, why spend one second researching?

If you're shooting for old coins, relics, artifacts, and other aged finds - then research on some degree is required, even if all it is is asking someone about an old house.

When you actually START detecting StrikeItRich... most of the questions you have asked here will be answered... :)

You say you have a site that was a hotspot from around 1820-1960. Without research you wouldn't know that. Obviously, the older the place and the more activity it had, the better your chances of finding something good.

please buy a detector and start hunting --many of your question will be answered then -- plus it will give you something to post . (your finds)

LOL they're all right, Strike it Rich. I'd make a couple of comments about research...but I figure that folks (including you) can read my posting history and find it there. 90% of the sites I hunt nowadays are ones that there has not been any trace of for the last 50+ years... so how do you think I found out about them?

;)

-Buckles

snake35 said:
I enjoy the researching, but I love history. It has helped me in the past. Good luck next spring.
I know what you mean when I said hours spent researching it would be closer to the truth to say years. Three to be precise I've visited the area many time's prior to the proposed hunt and on each occasion have spent the time sitting forming a picture of the place in the past chatting to people. I've got a great feeling this is going to a very productive site with finds that Will span several boards I've already retrieved bottles from the site. I'm currently finishing the research with regards to several shipwrecks from close to the site and come spring expect to try to retrieve some great finds and intend to donate some to the local history museum. Should the site prove me wrong I've made memories that are as precious as the treasure I seek so hence I won't be disappointed.

strike it rich said:
snake35 said:
I enjoy the researching, but I love history. It has helped me in the past. Good luck next spring.
I know what you mean when I said hours spent researching it would be closer to the truth to say years. Three to be precise I've visited the area many time's prior to the proposed hunt and on each occasion have spent the time sitting forming a picture of the place in the past chatting to people. I've got a great feeling this is going to a very productive site with finds that Will span several boards I've already retrieved bottles from the site. I'm currently finishing the research with regards to several shipwrecks from close to the site and come spring expect to try to retrieve some great finds and intend to donate some to the local history museum. Should the site prove me wrong I've made memories that are as precious as the treasure I seek so hence I won't be disappointed.

Well said.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Strike, excellent post!!!!

I had found a newspaper clipping from over 20 years ago that mentioned an old storage building ( early 1900's)in an old unused section of woods.This area is in a park and is open to public use.
I did a quick scouting of the area close to where the structure was, and it looked very promising.
I went back and did some detecting and within 5 trips to the area, I had dug a few old coins.One was a 1800's half dollar... the oldest coin I have found detecting.
And the structure was still standing, even after all that time unused.

If i would have to come up w/ a ball park number
i would save it would be 75% of the task to know
the history behind the area that you wish to hunt.
Because with out knowing the history of said area
since most places have had new building built on
the locations, if you refering to a place in a township
you would have NO idea if you did not have a old
city map in your back pocket or if you did not talk
to someone from that era. The reason i'm saying this
because i have been to the town archives and have
discovered where a old base ball field resided at
around WWII and now there are 2 trailor houses
sitting on top of the base ball field....and yes i
asked to hunt there and both parties have agreed
to let me hunt and keep the items that i find.

TreasureHunter

Hi:
One of the reasons of research is to FIND new places.
A friend of mine at the public library came from a small
town with the county that is not a ghost town. When I
tell people the name they say, "WHAT? Where the heck is....? Never heard of it."
She asked her grandmother, who still lives there if we could
poke around the old farm. We wanted to find any old relics that
might help make a nice display in the History Room of the library.
We're looking for old pictures too and any old residents that might be
around we can interview. In the process we have come across
a few people who will let us interview them and metal detect on
their property. Our goal is to put together a factual booklet about this
area before the town is erreased completely from peoples minds.
The place dates from 1820s to present. Soooo yes, research, research,
research.
Many older people love to talk about their past. If you build a nice rapport
most of these people will let you MD on their property. Just make sure you respect
their property and cover up any holes. Try to leave it looking nice.

Regards
Robert R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back