how can I increase the water flow into my sluice box?

OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, fast tracker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tested the modifications to the sluice box today and it worked wonderful.I have to thank the guy on you-tube with the video on how to properly set up a sluice box. I even found some gold.

OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sluice box with legs.jpg sluice box with legs 02.jpg

Here are the sluice modifications.. This set up worked very well and I caught some small gold flakes. they were in the black mat right at the head of the sluice. I even got lots of small metal pieces. Some were shot gun pellets, others were ? Once again I have to thank the guy on you tube. With the correct amount of water flow over the sluice box it really did what I expected it to. Thanks to the folks on here that suggested I build a wing dam to help with water flow, I now have a working sluice box.. It aint pretty, but it works. Thanks to all

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet! Looks like you're good to go. Love to see the gold on the mat.
With the classifiers I would think you can just shovel away. Up to a point, I mean. The flow will determine that.

OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I need to make this thing to where I don't have to classify anything, I just want to shovel in the dirt and keep shoveling until my arms get tired.
I have an idea of how to do that, I just have to figure out how to build it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to make this thing to where I don't have to classify anything, I just want to shovel in the dirt and keep shoveling until my arms get tired.
I have an idea of how to do that, I just have to figure out how to build it.

Get used to classifying or build a two stage sluice or bazooka style fluid bed trap. Both non classifying options require a fast water flow to clear the larger unclassified material and on the bazooka to also supply the fluid bed gold trap.

Later I'll post photos of my mod that supplies the correct water flow to both the slick plate and the fluid bed even in stagnant water :o

GG~

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I would call that a "dredge"!

A dredge supplies both the water and the material, my mod only supplies the correct water flow.

I call it a .... "mini wash plant" :tongue3:
Some refer to them as "power sluices" or "high bankers" :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wild eyed willey

wild eyed willey

Oct 25, 2012
Southbridge, MA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A dredge supplies both the water and the material, my mod only supplies the correct water flow.

I call it a .... "mini wash plant" :tongue3:
Some refer to them as "high bankers" :laughing7:

I finished my design and it does work but like you say it requires a faster water flow to clear the unwanted material. I found myself helping to push rocks often to clear the sluice. Even with a wing dam I couldn't get enough water flow. I would love to hear your water flow mod idea. I could use a few more GPM flow over my box.

To be honest, a dredge seems to be the most efficient choice to stream prospecting. Everything else is just plain too slow.

I have also decided to give up trying to build a hand dredge, I have modified mine three times and I just can't get the suction to work.. I have decided to buy one. My choices are the yappy gold sucker or the gold n sand.. Can anyone recommend one that they have had good luck with and has lasted for a while.

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the gold n sand x-stream works great takes a little getting used to but its easy to use.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finished my design and it does work but like you say it requires a faster water flow to clear the unwanted material. I found myself helping to push rocks often to clear the sluice. Even with a wing dam I couldn't get enough water flow. I would love to hear your water flow mod idea. I could use a few more GPM flow over my box.

I use a 1100 gph 12v bilge pump (with an inline flow control) powered by a small sealed 12v rechargable battery to add the extra flow as needed.

http://www.boatersland.com/rule27d.html?gclid=CKCujrr6j7QCFQSf4AodM34AvA

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-7ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery-f2.html

GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree with blynch, get a GoldNSand...well built and good thru-put.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread