How close is too close to a graveyard?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have detected close to a graveyard, but I haven't stepped into one with a detector. I think it is like someone said earlier that it depends on your conscience. Few months back, I detected around a church and my friend headed straight into a graveyard with his detector. I just couldn't do it. I joked that he was going to bring someone back with him.

I have heard stories where folks in Arkansas have been charged with desecration of a grave for metal detecting in a graveyard and digging. I don't judge others for doing it, as long as they don't tear up the ground and they leave it like it was or better. If someone detecting over my grave, I probably wouldn't be upset, lol.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the names Barnabas Collins and Willie do anything for you?:laughing7:

Haven't heard that name, Barnabas Collins, mentioned or Dark Shadows since I was a teen! Whoa! Time warp !

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This topic drives me crazy. You know why ? Because I know a cemetery that was a civil war fort before it was a cemetery. You go thru there and see the dirt dumped from digging a grave and I know there are bullets and buttons in that dirt , but I aint doin it. My partner and I knew the manager there in the 80's. he let us hunt when no one was there. We found drops between the graves. I got so creeped out , I will never recover from it. Also another story , I am one of the rare few that has had a paranormal experience while detecting a civil war site. It was at a battlefield that was on private property. The bottom line is ...there is a spirit world. I know first hand and you better be respectful.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Care to describe the paranormal experience?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I gotta fortune in gold specie and gems outa Frank Smucks grave in NoWhereVille US about ten years ago. About five million or so. It was just an old treasure story until I made it happen. You know, old story about big treasure buried up in the cemetary. I'm not gloatin about this it just happened and I could not resist. Nobody know I got it 'cept you frikkers. I been tryin to pawn it off on Ebay for about say ten years or so tryin to stay a step ahead of Uncle Sam you know what I'm sayin. Im almost ready to move outa NY soon.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
No really. When I find out about the big treasure buried under Zelda Frumpinschtickle's grave, I'm all over it chillin peace out. No, really.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not worry about how close. Just enjoy your time with the dead......

gy.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lonewolfdigger

Greenie
Jan 18, 2014
East Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the input on hunting near old graveyards. I think my personal policy will be to stay at least 30 yards away from the nearest visible sign of a grave be it stones or dips in the ground. I don't want to give anyone the slightest suspicion that I am digging in a graveyard.

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you know youre too close to a graveyard ,when you dig a ring, and theres still a hand attached to it....to be honest tho... leave the bodies where they lay..un disturbed, just like we ll want to be one day.

discn

Aug 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
my sixth sense and a shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dose anyone have a clue to how many old grave sites that have been bulldozed and turned into parks, schools, playgrounds, golf courses, apartments, malls. Over the years I'm sure all of us have detected a graveyard and didn't even realize we had. If I see tombstones I do not enter.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the input on hunting near old graveyards. I think my personal policy will be to stay at least 30 yards away from the nearest visible sign of a grave be it stones or dips in the ground. I don't want to give anyone the slightest suspicion that I am digging in a graveyard.

Good call!

Russ- that's one of my fears detecting the beach, I'll finally find that huge diamond ring...and it won't be alone! I won't be able to keep it, it will be crime scene evidence, and I'll get to answer a bunch of questions I don't have answers to. Lol!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread