Springfield Il
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic IDX
Whites Coinmaster 2000
Vibra Probe 460 pinpointer
Automax Precision V2 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too feel funny in graveyards. I usually hunt the roads and entrances but not around the graves themselves. I know of one site that has a stone wall with old gated entrance that is no longer used. Plenty of room away from graves and I have found a few things, 1800 & early 1900 coins and some small jewelry, not a lot, but while I like finding cool things, I enjoy being outside and hunting maybe as much

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how I feel about this other than to say I have thought about detecting around old trees in there, as long as away from the graves themselves, I could not do that just from a respect issue.
I can understand the way others on the other side of it feel, I have over the years left all sorts of items on my pops grave, mostly bottles of whiskey lol, but I did leave a harmonica once for him to play in the afterlife, though it was gone the next time I visited..damn squirrels.

Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well we have a family burial ground on our farm. It is about 200' from the house. One section is for the pets, complete with carved planks. The other section is the resting place for my wife and son.
If I would see you digging within 100' of it, You just might be next! Frank...

skull etc 018-2.jpg

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I feel about this other than to say I have thought about detecting around old trees in there, as long as away from the graves themselves, I could not do that just from a respect issue.
I can understand the way others on the other side of it feel, I have over the years left all sorts of items on my pops grave, mostly bottles of whiskey lol, but I did leave a harmonica once for him to play in the afterlife, though it was gone the next time I visited..damn squirrels.

Mike

Mike,
We do the same on my Dad's grave. A small bottle of whiskey. :occasion14: I'm surprised the cemetery workers don't take them. :laughing7: We buried my Dad with the things he loved. Whiskey, cards, a copy of "Young Frankenstein", and a talking Rodney Dangerfield figure. My Dad was a comedian.
I love your avatar. Classic! :thumbsup:
-Doug-

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make your decision then do it. You don't need permission from anyone here. TTC

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. No we got to start shunning dog walkers let's hope they pic up after them selfs

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't no who,what or why I'm defending maybe personal experience . I don't hunt graves nor have I ever . I don't even feel right about hunting churches but still do.its like politics it goes on and on with no accomplishment.just be truthful to your self

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could write an essay on the subject. It makes our hobby look bad to passerbys , it makes us look like grave robbers to the public. Its disrespectful to the dead. There is an after life and you will answer to someone , sometime. I think about this topic almost everyday because my town is full of fortifications on hills ,Cemeteries are on a lot of those hills. There are dropped bullets and buttons in the dirt but I aint doing it.

a spirit world exists. laugh if you want. I laughed once outside of Shiloh Battlefield once when a land owner said yes you can hunt but dont go down " in that place" ...it's haunted. I laughed right in his face. Three hours later on a sunny day i was terrified. I had something all over me in broad daylight. Respect the dead. You regret it someday.

Last edited:

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People don't respect this hobby anyway. Its like your beg in., but I can say that everyone I talked to
about this that doesn't detect was against it.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see both sides on this, personally I don't think I can allow myself to do it, but then I also have the worst luck, I would get in trouble for just looking in that direction, "before" I got out of the truck, no lie! I try not to tempt fate...I've been bitten several times!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; Sorry but I got to speak from "my" point which you may or may not agree with. Thank you Modern Miiner. Case, point, set. !!! Here in Mass if you are caught in a Grave Yard you will be Arrested, PERIOD. !!! If you are unlucky and are caught by the locals I hope you can run fast or have good Health Insurance. Me, I'll root for the locals ok.
My view is that I don't bother the dead and they don't bother me. We had 2 guys came into our Club. Displayed their finds. We asked where they came from. They said "the Cemetery." We held them until the Police arrived and bagged them. These scum were holding a Diguerio tin type picture of the deceased and a woman's prayer rosary. They were "very" lucky the Police got there fast. It was NOT a pretty scene for sure.
Simple Question: Would you want to face God over this matter. The choice is yours. PEACE:RONB

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; Sorry but I got to speak from "my" point which you may or may not agree with. Thank you Modern Miiner. Case, point, set. !!! Here in Mass if you are caught in a Grave Yard you will be Arrested, PERIOD. !!! If you are unlucky and are caught by the locals I hope you can run fast or have good Health Insurance. Me, I'll root for the locals ok.
My view is that I don't bother the dead and they don't bother me. We had 2 guys came into our Club. Displayed their finds. We asked where they came from. They said "the Cemetery." We held them until the Police arrived and bagged them. These scum were holding a Diguerio tin type picture of the deceased and a woman's prayer rosary. They were "very" lucky the Police got there fast. It was NOT a pretty scene for sure.
Simple Question: Would you want to face God over this matter. The choice is yours. PEACE:RONB

Thanks for the post Ron. Glad to hear those guys got what they deserved. That's just pathetic what they stole.
-MM-

dandut46

Nov 21, 2013
ma
Detector(s) used
Atpro ,etrac,t2se
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't no it was illegal in ma , never had to worry though the one I searched was in ri. I come across lots of them in the woods four wheelers ride right threw them, stones tuned over,cracked or what ever no one cares. I would never take a picture or a rosebeed and don't no why they did that's stupid, but there's out skirts and parts of cemetery that was cleared but never used. Were kids played long ago.one more point people bust open pyramids steel everything take the corpse stick it behind a glass and display it for money cause they went to collage.sounds like hypocrisy to me like everything else you can't but you can watch me and I don't think you should swing over graves, just looking at all sides. Apple or orange?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This smells fishy to me. No tintype photo would last very long out in the elements.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected the roads going into the graveyards and large open areas near the yards where, on the old ones, horses and wagons may have parked. Also large trees on the edges of the graveyards. At our local cemetary, which dates to the early 1800s, by a large tree on the edge, I found 4 large cents and a half cent from Canada. I have often wondered how that half cent got here, and if maby the coins fell out of the pocket of someone who sat down after digging a grave. I would never consider detecting on or near the graves.

aliciakay1981

Dec 9, 2013
north carolina
Detector(s) used
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe they didnt realize what they were doing was wrong, who would openly admit to commiting a crime such as that, knowing yaw'd disaprove and probably call the cops on them, i would assume they weren't very educated on social norms or either didnt have the sense god gave a goat. By the way you put it, im suprized they weren't tar'd feather'd and hang from the rafters by the time the cops arrived

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I ever found anyone hunting in our hometown cemetery I would be the owner of another metal detector because someone would have shot him or her. My hometown has to many crack shots for anyone to risk trying it. I myself wouldn't hunt there out of respect. But to each his own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread