How close is too close to a graveyard?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Aliciciakayes1981; Yup, They was lucky for sure. We had them cornered in the back room for their safety. I never saw a bunch of guys, myself included, that ticked off. They were happy to see the cops for sure. Sorry here but I got NO pity for anyone who would steal from the dead. That is exactly what they did. Those items had to DIRECTLY off of the bodies for sure. Question I always had since is how did they ever stand that stench?? LOOOORD. !! PEACE:RONB

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a friend pass. His wife put his Fisher 1266X in the casket with him. Also his digging belt and an E Tool , I cant figure what she was thinking.. I just hope he has a good supply of batteries.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Back when I was in high school I had a job on a lobster wharf. One of the new employees (went through many) was a convicted grave robber...He said him and another guy would dig the biggest stone in a given grave yard at night. He was a weird, volatile drunk. He didn't last a week. He totaled his car on the way home his last day of work...Drunk.
Total looser...

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot of the cemeteries around where I live are surrounded by large patches of woods which I have hunted and will again. I've also found some old coins in the places where people used to park which I'll do again. As far as walking across graves or into the cemetery I won't. As far as being shot at I would love to start a gun collection.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as being shot at I would love to start a gun collection.

Yep.

All of you guys talking about shooting people who are on public property doing something you don't like should consider that some of those people might shoot back.

While I won't be hunting any graveyards, as someone who carries a firearm every day I can assure you that you shouldn't be so quick threaten the use of deadly force. I suspect that those of you who threaten it don't actually have the means to carry it out; I've found that the responsibility of carrying a weapon makes you very good at de-escalating situations long before they might get to the point you'd have to use it.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old grave yard by me all in closed within stone walls set back 100 yards of the road. I would never hunt inside the stone walls by the grave stones. Always thought about the area towards the road. I don't know if anyone mentioned but I always heard towards closer to the road were people would of parked carriages and gotten out and dropped items could be a good spot to hunt.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have an old grave yard by me all in closed within stone walls set back 100 yards of the road. I would never hunt inside the stone walls by the grave stones. Always thought about the area towards the road. I don't know if anyone mentioned but I always head towards closer to the road were people would of parked carriages and gotten out and dropped items could be a good spot to hunt.
I have one very near to my house in Maine as well. I have often thought of hunting in the parking area and the woods road from the paved road into it. This cemetery is from the 1800's...

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old timer once up north said that graveyards were actually a place that the families would picnic when they visited a deceased relative , His claim was that most graveyards has some sort of structure near the entry that was sued as a gathering spot , that was away from the actual burial site I would assume that that location would be productive and not violate the resting places

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you find a ring with a finger attached, I'd say you are too close.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is this old cemetery down in the cove it has over 20 CW soldiers in one grave. It has been used since the late 1700's and it still used by certain families. They have benches and a picnic area and this is what gets me. A hand pump well right in the middle with a water fountain attached. Still pumps water. You may not detect this cemetery because they will shoot you and probably strip your truck. But you may visit. Many baby graves are just a piece of mountain stone. It is a very cool old spot.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was in high school I had a job on a lobster wharf. One of the new employees (went through many) was a convicted grave robber...He said him and another guy would dig the biggest stone in a given grave yard at night. He was a weird, volatile drunk. He didn't last a week. He totaled his car on the way home his last day of work...Drunk.
Total looser...

I was exploring a old abandoned over grown graveyard in the mid 80's and now that I remember we actually came across graves that had what appeared to have been dug or at least half dug. It wasn't settling of the ground these were dug holes. When ever it was done it was a long time ago because the holes were very eroded, I remember thinking. I believe it...Very creepy I am not trying to offend anyone its just what I had seen. Ok,, next topic.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too close

peter-grabs-lydia.jpg

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There is this old cemetery down in the cove it has over 20 CW soldiers in one grave. It has been used since the late 1700's and it still used by certain families. They have benches and a picnic area and this is what gets me. A hand pump well right in the middle with a water fountain attached. Still pumps water. You may not detect this cemetery because they will shoot you and probably strip your truck. But you may visit. Many baby graves are just a piece of mountain stone. It is a very cool old spot.

I don't think I could drink from that water fountain...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself don't see anything wrong with it.I see there are allot of thoughts and opinions on the subject."But you know what they say about thoughts and opinions".To me it all depends on the situation,like in my "opinion" I think hunting modern churches,schoolyards and especially modern cemeteries of any kind would be stupid.But if I see some old headstones in the middle of the woods,you can bet on it I would see if there is a old coin or something around them.As far as offending God,I am sure we do things in everyday life that would upset God more then digging a couple inches of dirt. But i see allot of people are sensitive to the subject,and I gotta respect that too!HH

Last edited:

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ethics define the person!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Do the names Barnabas Collins and Willie do anything for you?:laughing7:

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a common practice for the family to visit the graves of friends and relative, and have a picnic around the grave(s). It was also common for a surviving loved one to return to the grave, and bury something that they thought belonged to them, like a piece of jewelry. With many (if not most) of the older sites, the graves you can actually see are just the tip off the iceburg, with a large number being in unmarked graves. I have located many unmarked graves in these areas over the years for local churches or relatives, but never had to do any digging. Nope, wouldn't go there. And, on many occasions, these unmarked graves were outside the walls surrounding the marked graves.

It was mentioned about an old tin-type photo was found, well, this is possible maybe in some places. The tin was usually painted black, and as long as the tim didn't rust, they might survive. I have a couple of deguerreotype (1840's - 1860's) that came out of a trash pit that had been buried for about 130 years, and you could still see the images.

Have I ever searched a cemetery? Nope. I have hunted the dirt roads and the surrounding areas, but if I ever saw anything that might be a grave, I would leave. Keep in mind this though, with the exception of family cemeteries, most cemeteries had a church in close proximity. This is what I look for, NOT the graves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread