How deep do you typically dig?

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 540 Vanquish, and I can pick up targets in my area 8 and 10 inches deep, pretty consistently.

And while it can be argued that one should never pass up an opportunity, as a newbie, it increases the chances of ruining sod, and as many of you already know, it can be back breaking work for little to no return.

Ive dug a lot of the deeper finds as I’ve learned this hobby, but I’m starting to question if my time might be better spent swinging away rather than digging deep.

You guys are my classroom, and I’m your attentive student. What are your views and suggestions?

Diggen It 1900

Mar 9, 2022
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sometimes wonder if you're looking for cash, would it make sense to just swing without digging land that was just vacated from a flea market, carnival, fair, outdoor concert, air show...you get the picture?
Brian

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is your goal, clad, jewelery?

If cutting a proper plug there shouldn't be any ruined Sod.

Dugk44

Greenie
Oct 26, 2020
Connecticut (NW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 540 Vanquish, and I can pick up targets in my area 8 and 10 inches deep, pretty consistently.

And while it can be argued that one should never pass up an opportunity, as a newbie, it increases the chances of ruining sod, and as many of you already know, it can be back breaking work for little to no return.

Ive dug a lot of the deeper finds as I’ve learned this hobby, but I’m starting to question if my time might be better spent swinging away rather than digging deep.

You guys are my classroom, and I’m your attentive student. What are your views and suggestions?
Depth never crosses my mind, if i get a good signal, i'm digging it... i dig a lot of the same sites, if i was ruining the ground i would see it, and switch up my plug cutting method. Haven't had that happen yet.
I use the on-x hunting app tracker, and try to hit everything thoroughly. Then i switch machines/coils and repeat.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depth never crosses my mind, if i get a good signal, i'm digging it... i dig a lot of the same sites, if i was ruining the ground i would see it, and switch up my plug cutting method. Haven't had that happen yet.
I use the on-x hunting app tracker, and try to hit everything thoroughly. Then i switch machines/coils and repeat.
Ok you got me scratching the head.
What is an " on-x hunting app. tracker"?

Dugk44

Greenie
Oct 26, 2020
Connecticut (NW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok you got me scratching the head.
What is an " on-x hunting app. tracker"?
In your app store, type in on-x hunt, it's a red icon with a white x. It's a hunting app originally, but works great for metal detecting. I pay the yearly subscription (somewhere around $30), it shows property lines, owners of said property, and tracks you. You can download a section of the map, incase you are in an area where there is no service, as well. It's great, and well worth the money. I have all my hunts saved into my tracker. It shows the direct route you walked, through gps location.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a feeling that comes with experience and knowing your soil and area. In my local Parks I can't say that I have ever found a coin deeper than 9" most are in the 6" range. If I did an 8-9" plug and still have a signal I will investigate and determine if I want to keep going or give up. I'm very careful in my local parks although I have never been stopped I still dig with a hand trowel and try to keep in in the 6-9" range.

This is why I actually do not like my "audio gain" cranked up on a machine or a machine without audio modulation terminology may differ but I believe on the Vanquish the audio is modulated meaning the deeper the target the fainter the signal assuming it is a small object. So if I still have a very loud signal at 9" deep its probably a big piece of trash. Another trick to experiment with is raising the coil and if you still have a strong signal 5-6" off the target it's probably something huge - Can usually for me.

If I was at an old homesite or relic digging in a field all bets are off I'm digging until it I know for sure 12+ inches. I once dug about 20-24" with a tesoro Vaquero in a field at an old church site and found a saw blade (one of those long two handed saws) needless to say I left it in the ground that same area had stove doors buried in that same depth range just covered by farmers.

If I lived in an area where the parks were 100 plus years old my opinion may be different though. But in Indiana and probably Iowa coins don't find there way down that far without soil being brought in or moved. Which could happen so you would have to judge the soil conditions.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the soil has not been modified by landscaping or silting in most coins in parks and fields and home sites will be in the top 6", with maybe some down to 8". This applies to even colonial coins. I have found quite a few colonial coins 4-6" down at undisturbed church and home sites. In the woods with a lot of leaves they may be deeper. Coins do not sink into the ground, they get covered over over the years.

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a feeling that comes with experience and knowing your soil and area. In my local Parks I can't say that I have ever found a coin deeper than 9" most are in the 6" range. If I did an 8-9" plug and still have a signal I will investigate and determine if I want to keep going or give up. I'm very careful in my local parks although I have never been stopped I still dig with a hand trowel and try to keep in in the 6-9" range.

This is why I actually do not like my "audio gain" cranked up on a machine or a machine without audio modulation terminology may differ but I believe on the Vanquish the audio is modulated meaning the deeper the target the fainter the signal assuming it is a small object. So if I still have a very loud signal at 9" deep its probably a big piece of trash. Another trick to experiment with is raising the coil and if you still have a strong signal 5-6" off the target it's probably something huge - Can usually for me.

If I was at an old homesite or relic digging in a field all bets are off I'm digging until it I know for sure 12+ inches. I once dug about 20-24" with a tesoro Vaquero in a field at an old church site and found a saw blade (one of those long two handed saws) needless to say I left it in the ground that same area had stove doors buried in that same depth range just covered by farmers.

If I lived in an area where the parks were 100 plus years old my opinion may be different though. But in Indiana and probably Iowa coins don't find there way down that far without soil being brought in or moved. Which could happen so you would have to judge the soil conditions.

That's very helpful, and exactly the advice I needed.

Thank you!

OP
OP
J

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the soil has not been modified by landscaping or silting in most coins in parks and fields and home sites will be in the top 6", with maybe some down to 8". This applies to even colonial coins. I have found quite a few colonial coins 4-6" down at undisturbed church and home sites. In the woods with a lot of leaves they may be deeper. Coins do not sink into the ground, they get covered over over the years.
Also very helpful!

I live in farm country, where acreage are constantly rearranged by building type, and farm ground has been turned over every year for the past 120 years. Ground changing structure is pretty common here.

I guess I was under the assumption that coins and other valuables were consumed by the content ebb and flow of the seasons. It's good to know that there is supposed to be some continuity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread