How deep? Good Question.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Always see the question of how deep will your detector go? There are many responses to that question depending on the circumstances and the equipment involved. Not to mention the skill of the MD operator, soil conditions, weather (wet or dry) and on and on ....

I think that on average, for a coin sized object most folks will be 'averaging' between 3 and 4 inches. YES, I know some of you find things half way to China with your souped up Brand 'X' model with the extra wide coil, but I am talking about you average hunt.

Do you agree with the 3 to 4 inch average depth?

Thanks for your input, hope it helps those new to the hobby.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mostly hunt for older coins, I would say the average is more like 5 or 6 inches, with the deepest down to 10 or 12.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Ray, if you are averaging 3-4 it may be time to trade in the XLT for something else that will go a lot deeper

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
erikk said:
Ray, if you are averaging 3-4 it may be time to trade in the XLT for something else that will go a lot deeper

Key word is ' average '. I do dig coins up to 6 or 8 inches at times.
But you are correct, I would like to get a different machine, but not because I do not like my XLT. lol Variety is the spice of life. You can never have too many detectors.

Ray S.

Dreamweaver43

May 25, 2006
Wisconsin
Most of my "keeper coins" are down at least 6inches, unless masked by trash target. Clad is usually in the first couple inches. But more important is that some sites everything good is deep, and in other places there is nothing below 3-4 inches, so it depends on the site. I would think that if your not finding coins below 4inches, your probably missing the best stuff, all in all.

Dream

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Ray S ECenFL said:
erikk said:

Key word is ' average '. I do dig coins up to 6 or 8 inches at times.
But you are correct, I would like to get a different machine, but not because I do not like my XLT. lol Variety is the spice of life. You can never have too many detectors.

Ray S.
I agree, it is nice to have several machines, You might want to take a look at the new Fisher F-75. Impressed me and I have been running minelab EX2's and they wil get down there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread