What's new

How Did You Start CRHing?

etfonehome4

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I want to know how you got started CRHing.
Personally I began by seeing someone walk out of the bank with a bag of half dollars, then the next day
saw him bring them back. I asked what he was doing and he told me. Glad I asked!!!!


etfonehome
 
Upvote 0
I was depositing some checks and asked for some strange reason if the teller had any halfs. She had 10. One was a Walker and 3 were 40%. Of course I didn't know what they were and bought some 71 halfs also. Spent the rest of the day hitting other banks and in total got 30 40% 2 franklins and the Walker. I was hooked.
 
i gotta wheatie in change once, (no uncommon, but for some reason it got me thinking), from starbucks, and started thinking "where did this exact coin come from?" i then came to the conclusion it was either from a bank roll or a customer, so to see if it WAS a roll i want to my local credit union, and bought like 5-10 rolls of pennies, got to the car, saw a wheatie on the end, and got a lot more in the rolls! (they were all fed rolls) i was hooked, and did it about 3-5 more times, then decided to look it up online, and found tnet! but before all of this, i somehow searched my giant jar of about $150 in PENNIES, found some cool stuff, but it never crossed my mind to try crh'ing till i gotta wheatie in change...go figure :icon_scratch:
keep it up and hh!
 
While doing some research on coins from my grandfather's collection I stumbled upon the Coin Community Forum. A bit of browsing in the half dollar thread linked me to mountainman 2's amazing dream Brinks box thread. That got me interested and I went out a week or so later and got my firsty few rolls of halves. Right off the bat I found 18 40%ers and a Canadian 80% and was immediately hooked. ;D
 
I was digging up my weedy front yard and unearthed a few coins including a '59 Rosie and a couple of Wheaties. No metal detector! My inner coin nerd (along with my highly developed hoarding tendencies) reemerged after 30 years and I did a little web research and started pulling copper cents from bank rolls. At one branch a teller offered two $20 rolls of halves and when I got home, I mean ten seconds after I got back to the car, out popped 15 40% & a '64. It was on!!!
 
I was always into coin collecting even as a kid and was aware that the copper cents were disappearing from circulation much like what happened to my parents generation back in '65.
I had been buying pennies 5-10 bucks at a time and saving all my coppers for about 4 years before I learned that there was an actual thing called "coin roll hunting" and a community with similar interests! I also did not know a normal, non-business account could order coin in quantity/boxes.
I had never thought there would be silver still in circulation. It was probably another 6 months of reading the board before I figured I would try my luck and start ordering boxes...and by golly there isn't a lot but yes indeed there is silver still out there!
 
I belong to another forum about metal detecting that also hosts other related forums and kept seeing "CRH" and had no idea what that stood for. I started reading the posts and caught on to what it was about. I was also collecting pennies with my kids at the time and we were already buying boxes to look for dates for their books. Until that time, I had never given any thought to looking for silver or other valuable coins. After about a week of reading posts I started picking up some nickels. A week later dimes and then went to halves. What started out as buying 1 or 2 boxes of pennies a week has now become about 10-12 boxes of halves a week along with 4-6 boxes of dimes.

I was CRH for nearly 2 weeks before I finally found out what this stood for. :icon_thumleft:
 
I started when I was 9. I looked up to my grandpa, and he was a coin hoarder. He didn't know or care about coin values. He just latched onto specific coins and tossed them in a jar(s). Jars turned into bottles, bottles turned into vases, vases into buckets, etc. He worked at a service station in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. He just kept cents.

Well, I was allowed to look through his coins to fill my book, but I was overwhelmed with the task. So I began picking out better wheaties from the buckets and start my own hoard. Filling containers that would be sequestered to the back of my closet to be forgotten about until I graduated college. By this time, my grandpa's hoard was stashed in a basement crawlspace (enclosed) under the stairs. It was forgotten by the rest of the family, but I always remembered going through the coins as a kid. My grandfather passed away, and his children (my mother and aunt) were tasked with cleaning out the house in order to sell it. She stumbled upon the stash, but they were too heavy to move so I was called in. If I could move them, they were mine.

I still have buckets and buckets of his coins that I just do not have the time to search through. They are all wheats, and they aren't going anywhere. Someday when I find the time... 30 years later and I still haven't found the time.
 
I just saw what people were finding on here. Only done it a few times though
 
I started right about 1978-79, right before silver prices took off big time. Keep in mind the finds were not great then, because everyone was pulling silver from circ. ffd
 
After realizing that the dollar was essentially based on nothing, I knew that I needed to put my money somewhere where it wouldn't lose value, since stocks even in the best economies are risky and volatile, and after the collapse of "safe" stocks like GM, I figured that precious metals were the way to go, I figured silver was better than gold because I could have more pieces (which would help in a post-dollar-collapse economy), so I bought some junk silver and silver rounds. Then I figured that since a lot of these coins had the same design as circulating coins people might just spend them for face value, so I went into a bank and bought a box of dimes and found a silver or two then I stumbled on this forum reading about metal detecting and saw this forum.
 
This Board got me hooked. Dang all of you. :tongue3:
 
For me, it started last year when I received a silver quarter in change at Wal-Mart and, like an idiot, promptly lost it. About one month later, I heard someone dumping a massive amount of change in a Coinstar machine at a local grocery store. I checked the return slot immediately afterwards and found 2 silver Roosies (a '53-P and '56-P). So I started researching Coinstar finds on the Internet which led me here where I found out about CRH. I was astounded at the finds posted here but started out slow with dimes ($20 here and there). In the very first CRH dime roll I bought, I found a '44 Merc. Then one month later I stumbled upon 54 silver Roosies in 4 rolls. Then I discovered that I had three free coin counter machines nearby. As they say, the rest is history!!

HH,
cuttybce
 
I was 11 years old in 1984 and was eating at the Varsity in downtown Atlanta. Being from there we also often visited a small coin shop a mile maybe mile and a half away occasionally. Well the 10 to 12 cashiers they have seperated down the ordering line by only a few feet all had this huge 60degree coin return machine with an open face and it was shifted just enough for me to see the coins stacked up in the machine. I would simply ask each cashier for the ones with the solid colored rims and give him dollar bills in exchange. Most were 40% of course but found enough 90% to make it worth the effort as i would then either get a ride or walk to the coin shop where I would make 25 cents on the 40% and 1$ on each 90%. Some days I could profit 20$ if the lunch crowd was extremely busy and they would have to restock most of the coin holders.

Sadly after i found out about girls i no longer had an interest in coins until i got married then found that she had an interest in money (in any form). Hence i got back into collecting coins. Funny how the world goes in circles like that. If I could have kept my head in the game instead of daydreaming about stuffed bras and poofy hair id imagine id own at least 100,000 silver halves by now. Phoo! Some trade off!
 
I found this forum after this site was recommended by a metal detectorist friend.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom