What's new

How do I find a cache of marbles?

lakelivr

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 20, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
My dad was born in '33 and when he was a little kid he buried an oatmeal box full of marbles in their backyard to keep his brother out of them.
He still lives in the same house and has shown me the general area he remembered hiding them. I've tried metal detecting the area hoping there might
have been some steelies but had no luck. I wonder if I would feel them with a tile probe?
I live 500 miles away so only get to try a couple times a year.
 
lakelivr said:
My dad was born in '33 and when he was a little kid he buried an oatmeal box full of marbles in their backyard to keep his brother out of them.
He still lives in the same house and has shown me the general area he remembered hiding them. I've tried metal detecting the area hoping there might
have been some steelies but had no luck. I wonder if I would feel them with a tile probe?
I live 500 miles away so only get to try a couple times a year.
Before metal detectors, treasure hunters would use wagon rods (re-bar) to locate objects known to have been buried.

Sounds like what you need is an adaptation of that technology: a thin, steel-tipped fiberglass rod used to locate glass or old dumps with.

The fiberglass rod needs to be at least 5 feet long, and should have a T at the other end to assist in probing the ground to a depth of about 1 foot or so. These may be commercially available, but you need to ask in the bottle digging forum for more info.

Good luck in finding your father's marble cache!
 
google dowsing and try that method.....ive located buried water lines and maybe the void in the box could be detected...
 
duffytrash said:
google dowsing and try that method.....ive located buried water lines and maybe the void in the box could be detected...
how does dowsing work? I thought it was a magnetic pull from the water...
 
Find a steel antenna from a car, one that is solid, or a CB radio antenna. This works well for probing for objects.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom