What's new

How do I find old foundations?

Treasureman25

Sr. Member
Joined
May 30, 2013
Messages
258
Reaction score
374
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I'm lookin all over the net for maps of my town..old old maps preferably. There's a lot of farm fields here now. Hoping I can find where a foundation has been plowed into a field. Can any of you point me in the right direction or to a web site I can look at some old maps on??
Thanks
 
reading_01.gif
Wow - you posted this exact same question on three different forums - you didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
 
Ok.thanks.ill try that.
 
In my area there are not many fields like you described but I have always been told to look for foundation stones stacked on the edge of a field. Whenever a plow turns one up they throw it on the pile. Thats my great advice. :)
 
Thank you penny..every little bit helps.
 
In both Calif. and New Mex. I have always looked for rocks that look like they just don't belong there.
 
another thing is look for flowers in a field that are in a box shape or straight line . they show where old houses were. not many wild flowers would grow like that.
 
Yes, non-native plants in an area is a pretty good give away. Or trees planted in a very deliberate manner.
 
I don't know if you still can, but...

40 years ago... I contacted the USGS with a list of topo maps...
I told them I wanted the oldest map that showed dwellings...
I also wanted the newest map of each one on my list...
Most map sets were 40+ years apart...
By having two maps of the same area, it was easy to cross the old with the new to
know if the dwellings was still there.

Oh.. the price of a USGS topo map at the time was 30 cents each...
Go ahead and laugh... but you can't beat experience! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom