What's new

How do I identify flint chips?

mileslong

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
From natural rocks? One person told me that man made chips are dome shaped. Can you guys show some photos as to what to look for, and maybe some chip beds as found on the ground?
 
Upvote 0
Borrowed from the internet with the help of google.

1.gif

2.webp

3.webp
 
They are very distinctive. Usually very thin, and sharp. I always think they look like big fish scales.
 
Thanks. BTW anyone ever walk a new graded gravel road looking?
 
I have had luck hunting the ditches along gravel roads
 
Thanks. BTW anyone ever walk a new graded gravel road looking?

When I'm out walking, I'm always looking. Have found a few along gravel driveways....not in amongst the gravel, but in the ditches beside the driveways. I've also found a few in the root balls of trees that have blown over. When you're looking, think of "flakes" rather than chips. Flakes of knapped stone are pretty distinctive. Good luck to you!
 
Where are you located. It usually helps us if we know where you are looking so we can tell what types of material to look for. For instance, you wouldnt look for a lot of Flint in California. Mostly Obsidian, Quartz, and Basalt out that way.
 
A small creek/ditch in So. IL with Kaolin flint debitage. Gary

DSC07320.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom