How do you get started coin roll hunting?

casadmack74

Jan 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was my first day coin roll hunting. I really did not know how to start off I live in California and called my local chase and asked if they had any half dollar coins. Luckily they were the only one who had a case of $500 worth of half dollars. I bought it and found four 40% silver coins, one 1965, one 1966, and two 1968, I also found this intresting shiny half dollar from 1987-P. I was wondering how do you get money for the coins and what if they are in bad shape? Also what is a good way to continue this without spending too much money. I want to do dimes next as I heard they have the second highest silver content next to half dollars. I was wondering what other banks I can use in California, I know that Golden 1 Credit Union is ruled out or so they have told me. Please list tips and suggestions! Thanks!

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>how do you get money for the coins and what if they are in bad shape?
Generally you sell to a local coin shop, pawn shop, or gold buyer. Local coin shop will give you the most. For most finds, it does not matter what condition they are in. You get a percentage of the melt value of the precious metal that the coin(s) contain(s). You can sell to larger brokers, but you normally must have large qty.

>>what is a good way to continue this without spending too much money.
Just start with seed money (such as the $500 you used to get the box of halves). Buy coins for cash, search the coins, exchange the zonks for cash, stack or sell the keepers. Increase your turn-around fund as you are able. Actual "spend" ends up being the time and travel expenses. Minimize the travel expenses by using banks that are on your normal travel routes.

>>I was wondering what other banks I can use in California
Any bank or credit union that will do business with you is in scope. Most times, banks will not exchange coins for cash or cash for coins unless you are a customer. Some will though.

>>Please list tips and suggestions
As to get loose coins from the bank's coin machine. Very few banks will accommodate that, but the chances of a great score are higher and you don't have to unroll.

OP
OP
C

casadmack74

Jan 20, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was my first day coin roll hunting. https://9apps.ooo/
I really did not know how to start off I live in California and called my local chase and asked if they had any half dollar coins. Luckily they were the only one who had a case of $500 worth of half dollars. I bought it and found four 40% silver coins, one 1965, one 1966, and two 1968, I also found this intresting shiny half dollar from 1987-P. I was wondering how do you get money for the coins and what if they are in bad shape? Also what is a good way to continue this without spending too much money. I want to do dimes next as I heard they have the second highest silver content next to half dollars. I was wondering what other banks I can use in California, I know that Golden 1 Credit Union is ruled out or so they have told me. Please list tips and suggestions! Thanks!

issue got solved

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread