What's new

How fast do you swing your coil?

dirtdigger1581

Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2011
Messages
591
Reaction score
270
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've heard many people say that you should swing your detector slow to get the best results, but how slow is "slow"? I would say that one arc from left to right in my swing plane takes approx 2 seconds to complete. I have decent results with that speed, but I'm curious what others use for their swing speed. I imagine different machines call for different speeds, so I'm curious to know what you use and how fast or slow you swing it.

P.S. I use a Minelab E-trac.

Happy Hunting!
 
I've heard crazy stories of Explorer/E-trac users going 4-5 seconds per swing. A lot depends on how wide your swing is, but mine is just under 2 seconds for a full swing.

I tend to swing about twice as fast as the average user and often have double the finds as well. But, all of this changes if I am in extreme trash or iron filled fields. I swing slower then. But for parks, I swing pretty darn fast, way faster than most people. The only other Explorer user I know that swings like me also makes great finds. I'm at 96 silver so far this year on pretty limited detecting and almost all public property. I get out weekends and not every weekend at that, so my finds are from about 2 months of detecting weekends.

Swing at a good clip and listen for the tones and you will do well. Once you learn, you should be confident in being able to find 3-5 silver in a day of hunting and have random great days of 10+ silver.
 
Woodland Detectors said:
Slowwwww. Very slow :wink:

I guess I should let people believe this. I do enjoy them spending ALL day hunting and finding no old coins while I find 30 old coins right next to them. It's nice to have them waste their time and clean out some more trash to get it out of my way.
 
I tend to agree with bazinga, I swing a bit on the quick side until I hear a tone I like then slow it down a bit.

I also like swinging from right to left, when I'm tired of that I'll go from left to right :laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom