What's new

How good are old quarry sites?

limegoldconvertible68

Full Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
228
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While out hunting mushrooms I came across an area that shows definite signs of having been quarried. Nobody now alive ever remembers any kind of activity there so I am guessing it to be from the 1800's. Has anyone ever detected an old quarry site? Is it worth the effort to haul my detector back there and if so where is the best place to start searching? I now next to nothing about quarry activity so I don't know if there would be any office area or place where horses and wagons were kept. Any advice?
 
You're talking coins/relic, not minerals, nuggets or whatever (naturally occuring material), right? If so, it would only be good where they lived and camped. Find out where their camp-town sites were. But the tailings piles, processing plants and industrial cr*p locations, would not be the place to coin-shoot, since, by nature, those are the places they ripped to shreds, discarded their industrial cr*p, etc...... So find out where their tent-cities, stores, saloons, etc... were.
 
Quarry sites, well in the actual area where they used to dig the stone out, it depends what type of machines were used, but I can tell you that you will find lots of trash, quarries are messy places where lots of steel was used with the various machines to get the stone out, crushes and such.

And you do not know when the quarry closed down, thus rather look where the people lives or where they had an office or such.

Have fun and let us know what you find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom