What's new

How has this hobby of metal detecting changed you?

I started up detecting about 4 months ago and it has quickly become a passion and addiction and i am continuously learning more about our nations past and my local area. The history that lies beneath the ground is amazing. From coins to relics to trash, it all has a story.
 
It has caused me to become attached to my iPad to check on the latest TNet info..
 
I am much more aware of human behaviour. Not just the pull tabs and litter culture, but the actions that people were making over the last several hundred years. I made a break through hunting at an old military site recently. Im already in tune with nature as I hike alot but tracking peoples movements just by putting yourself in their shoes is rewarding when it pays off.

Chub

Im thinking, an Indian pirate? This is actually the rock that most eye patches were formed over. Eye patches were traded along with glass beads. Alot of indians and pirates had one eye in those days. So my reasoning is pretty good. The weave on the towel is indicative of the indians of the carribean. Name of the tribe escapes me right now.

chub

Really a common, blue, bath towel in this link? http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/x-marks-spot/513771-strange-rock-indian-pirate.html#post5441603

Why don't you learn how to even spell behavior to begin with, and in general? Stop tracking my movements already and lay the Hell off of me! How dare you insult me and my Native American heritage! And no "indians" did not live in the Caribbean, nor did they commonly wear eye patches neither! Do NOT post anymore of your sick and creepy statements ever again and don't put anybody else up to it either!
 
Last edited:
I think a quote by "Andy Sabisch" pretty much sums it up. "The most valuable thing I have ever found while treasure hunting is piece-of-mind". From his Quattro & Safari handbook.
 
I was standing in the parking lot of Zaxby's in Chattanooga Tn Sunday taking a picture of my daughter and wife and looked down and found 2 cents. When you pick up a detector nothing looks the same. Always detecting!
 
It makes me appreciate more life's experience of looking at grass (and all that is above the ground) from the top down versus from the roots up.
Don.......
 
Actually it hasn't changed me. Rather it has helped me discover and define parts of my personality. Being a true introvert I enjoy a solitude hunt. Being shy, I hate the thought of asking for permission to hunt on private property. Yet metal detecting is so vast, I have found the types of hunting that fits me.
 
I have learned to appreciate that which surrounds me, more....except the gang members trying to shoot each other...what can ya do...but duck!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk
 
Metal detecting gives me time away from normal life. And even adds to my wallet every now and then...


Best of all is the fact that I can't seem to go anywhere old or historical without thinking about what kind of coins are lying below my feet...
 
Detecting has given me a mission other than work. You see I had become a work-o-holic now that all my kids are grown and moved out. It's the only activity that has given me an pleasurable outlet to enjoy life more. I have always been a history buff which plays well into this hobby. Just getting in the vehicle and driving around looking for the sites has made me more familiar with the area where I live. Before detecting I had a few routes to get to where I needed to go. Now I often take the less traveled path so I can scout for new places to hunt. I have even taken vacations specifically to metal detect with other members I met here on Tnet. I also take a week long staycation every year in early fall to get out and hunt for a solid week locally.
 
Not a coin goes through my hand or gets passed over without a thorough scanning!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom