How long if ever does it take to recoup your cost

I am not there yet myself and I also don't look at it that way. I agree with an above statement, I am in it for the history. I like to find things from the past. As of now, that past doesn't go back that far but, still trying. As for my clad, I used to save it but, I don't now. It just goes into my change jug and sooner or later on to the change counting machine at my bank. But, I do check it well first and save any that are old. Joe

Groundshaker said:
I think,that if you ponder about recouping the cost of your detector (or any kind of hobby) you are in the wrong hobby.

If you detect and all your worries and problems of daily life are set aside and you have peace of mind and enjoy the outdoors.......................Then you have something that is Priceless :icon_thumleft:
I think you hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup:Well put. I deal with tons of pea brains every day, and a few hours prospecting or coin shooting away from the pea brains is worth a million!

strike it rich said:
In terms of the amount you pulled out for your detector how long if ever did it take to recover the inital investment in terms of cash/finds

And what did you spend your gains ons

If you are in this hobby to make money... it is possible to do it ,but you have to work at it a long time...and find the right spot and "goodies" to be able to do that. Or get very, very, very lucky on a location.

It is possible but kind of few and far between.

If you still want to recoup your money by detecting...sell your equipment NOW, and get into another hobby.
99.9999% of metal detector users get into it for the relaxation,the excercise, being outside in the air and seeing the countryside or wherever you hunt at, the enjoyment of finding an item in the ground that was lost, and getting together with other detector users and hunting.

Gee so all you guys wouldent want a major find worth $$$$ cool send it to me you can keep the fresh air etc etc lol

strike it rich said:
Gee so all you guys wouldent want a major find worth $$$$ cool send it to me you can keep the fresh air etc etc lol

Sometimes being out in the fresh air swinging the detector is worth much more than finding anything!!!!!!!!
I can't believe I just said that :tongue11:

For me, I didn't say I did NOTwant to find a large pile of goodies...I said that I didn't get into this hobby for that, just as most others on this forum have stated.
I have been through a dozen different detectors over the 37 years I have detected and have found some good spots, where more than a few coins were found......but a major find---- I haven't been lucky enough to find one yet. At 58 years old, I hope there are still a few years left in me ,to look for one. :P

Due to various bits of bad luck, such as a broken arm and surgery, and 3 little boys who dominate my free time, I have not been able to hunt much at all, but when I was a regular, wifey and I easily found a couple hundred dollars worth of coins a year.
We were not hard core detectorists, probably every other Saturday, for half a day.
Wifey was a lazy hunter, far preferring the wood chip playgrounds to digging in the dirt. So, our valuable finds were not common. A few silver coins and bits of jewelry.
I think an experienced hunter, who has a decent machine, that he is familiar with, and who devotes real time to his hobby, could glean anywhere from $500-$1000 a year in common clad, to $10,000 or so if including silver and beach jewelry finds.
Its not all luck, nor do you need a Super Expensive detector. Persistence pays, as does a studious attitude, and an analytical and research.
You do not need to discover Eldorado to be successful.

Just had a flash (ie: 3 cups of coffee ::)) How many people can say they've held an article in there hands that was dropped a hundred or so years ago? And done it before the Archies gobbled it up :D :D :D

that is the spirit, bman. Something got dropped 100 or 200 years ago and all of a sudden we get to bring it out to the daylight if we're lucky. How many other people have a hobby that can do that? Today the guy I hunt with found a 1918 wheatie, that doesn't sound like a big deal but if you saw the area we were diggin in, you'd have some respect for that.

thats like asking how many lotto tickets do you have to buy to win it ? -- one is all you need if its the right one.

alot of things factor into it --how much did you detector cost in the first place ? how often do you hunt and for how long and where at? --is the cost of traveling to hunt included in the minus column? --if thats the case few make money on a steady basis while metal detecting -- however for most detectorist--- the steady clad finds -- now and then a silver coin or bit of jewlery --the rare gold jewelry or even rarer gold coin is the thrill -- finding real "bits" of history --civil war bullets and what nots and rev war items and other relics are a real thill for many --

finding a civil war bullet -- worth $3 - 5 cash money --- the joy of finding a real bit of history -priceless - Ivan

ivan salis said:
thats like asking how many lotto tickets do you have to buy to win it ? -- one is all you need if its the right one.

alot of things factor into it --how much did you detector cost in the first place ? how often do you hunt and for how long and where at? --is the cost of traveling to hunt included in the minus column? --if thats the case few make money on a steady basis while metal detecting -- however for most detectorist--- the steady clad finds -- now and then a silver coin or bit of jewlery --the rare gold jewelry or even rarer gold coin is the thrill -- finding real "bits" of history --civil war bullets and what nots and rev war items and other relics are a real thill for many --

finding a civil war bullet -- worth $3 - 5 cash money --- the joy of finding a real bit of history -priceless - Ivan
thanks for all the replies in particular this one Ivan as you know some have pacticullay found a fortune already just waiting for thier ship to come in if you follow best wishes S.I.R

1911d said:
I have to say i love to find stuff!
i started with a radio shack md (which i still have as a back up) and now use a tesoro "V".
when i started with the radio shack i didn't find a lot for a few years then i got better and better using it...
one year if found some gold coins with it , i sent them to heritage auction house (they had them graded and sold them for me)......
i could have used the $$ to buy 3 of the top of the line minelabs, but i didn't i bought the Vaquero.
put the rest of the $ away.
then the Vaquero found me another gold coin......i sent it off to heritage, they graded it and sold it for me..
i put that money (and yes it was a lot) with the other money... i have sold off all my find in the last few years and have put that money with the other...
now that i'm retired (i have an old motorhome) and live on SS.
the wife and i travel around and use the $$$ i have got from detecting to pay for fuel and lot rent at camp grounds, repairs, etc.. FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 10 YEARS even if diesel goes to $6.00 a gal. HA HA
so i have to say YES md'ing will pay for it's self...
by selling the stuff i found it allows me to not only to keep searching, but to be able to do it in all sorts of interesting places where the weather is nice....
i'm sure there are others that have done this also but ( they go by the rule: if you make a real good find keep your mouth shut and your head down) just a word to the wise!
respectfully , george
1911D made an excellent point! How many hobbies allow you to live a lifestyle a lot of people can only long for? Only have 3.5 years to go ::)

1911d said:
I have to say i love to find stuff!
i started with a radio shack md (which i still have as a back up) and now use a tesoro "V".
when i started with the radio shack i didn't find a lot for a few years then i got better and better using it...
one year if found some gold coins with it , i sent them to heritage auction house (they had them graded and sold them for me)......
i could have used the $$ to buy 3 of the top of the line minelabs, but i didn't i bought the Vaquero.
put the rest of the $ away.
then the Vaquero found me another gold coin......i sent it off to heritage, they graded it and sold it for me..
i put that money (and yes it was a lot) with the other money... i have sold off all my find in the last few years and have put that money with the other...
now that i'm retired (i have an old motorhome) and live on SS.
the wife and i travel around and use the $$$ i have got from detecting to pay for fuel and lot rent at camp grounds, repairs, etc.. FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 10 YEARS even if diesel goes to $6.00 a gal. HA HA
so i have to say YES md'ing will pay for it's self...
by selling the stuff i found it allows me to not only to keep searching, but to be able to do it in all sorts of interesting places where the weather is nice....
i'm sure there are others that have done this also but ( they go by the rule: if you make a real good find keep your mouth shut and your head down) just a word to the wise!
respectfully , george
lots of great points there Geroge thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back