How lucky and how dumb can you get at the same time..

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I'm not in the field I go to the local auctions to look for deals.

Not saying I would have bid on this item but here's what went down about a month ago.

A local auction had a fifth wheel trailer up for bid. The trailer was basically a piece of junk. The previous owner had died and said trailer was part of the estate sale.

Someone bid for and bought the trailer for $300.00 dollars. They planned on stripping the trailer out and refurbishing the interior.

In the process of stripping the trailer down they (the new owners) discovered a stash of $85,000 dollars in cash under the bed.

Now instead of just putting the money in their pocket and keeping quiet about it. They went back to the auction house and told them and others about their windfall find.

Long story short the state has since heard about the find and now they have their hand out saying we want our money. I'm sure the feds will be right behind them. ::)

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
It's amazing how dumb...they might also be sued by the prior owner if it could be considered inheritance or something. Maybe it would be thrown out of court, but yet another exposure for being so stupid.

T

trish76642

wow..that was pretty dumb!
You know what they say, "A fool and his money will soon part!"

I'd say, "Possesion is 9/10s of the Law!"

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
simonds said:
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING ?

They were thinking won't we look clever when we tell all the people who didn't overbid us what we found in that beat up old trailer? Yep they sure look clever now. Poster children for too stupid to walk around without a keeper. siegfried schlagrule

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
However... not everyone thinks like we do... and are not prepared for the shock of such a find!

Sounds like stooopid AND very honest. They prolly thought the cash would get to hiers or whatever and felt they were getting the cash to a rightfull owner. Unless it was just bragging - in which case - "idiots".

I bet they regret that move forever... it's too bad.

Is there a link to an article about it?

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right! To many people, "feeling right" about something is much more important than the money. My wife found what looked very much like a large diamond ring in the parking lot of a store. She never thought to keep it, she wanted to give it to the store in case someone came back. I convinced her that the odds were against that happening and that I would leave my card with the manager to post with a note saying if anyone lost a piece of jewelry I would return it if they could describe it.

This was good with her but that night she could not sleep a wink worrying about it. The next morning she said, "let's turn it into the police" and I balked at that too. I knew a recently retired police officer from the same police department and I asked him what we should do. He said if we turned into his police department we would never see it again nor would the owner. He went on to say that before we lost anymore sleep over it we should have it check to determine if it was real or not.

The next day we went to our jeweler. I told him the story and before I could get it all the way out of my pocket he said, "CZ!" He said it was excellent CZ in an 18K band but CZ all the same. My wife was relieved and we kept the ring. Still don't know what we would do if it were real.

If I found $85K in something I purchased I would have an awful ethical delemma. Was it their retirement money he hid from his wife? Or, perhaps it iwas ill gotten gains. too bad I won't have to make that decision.

TE

Attachments

• Ring1.jpg
    Ring1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 686
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 682

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007
They could have been a little more careful in how they handled it.However,
if being honest is being stupid,I guess I'll have to be in that group.I hope
if I were to lose my detector or anything of value,the finder wouldn't
think "finders keepers",but would seek me out.I would surely offer a reward
for their effort.JMHO.HH Joe

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
JoeSWFla said:
They could have been a little more careful in how they handled it.However,
if being honest is being stupid,I guess I'll have to be in that group.I hope
if I were to lose my detector or anything of value,the finder wouldn't
think "finders keepers",but would seek me out.I would surely offer a reward
for their effort.JMHO.HH Joe

No one would say anything if they had "turned it in to authorities" or done the "right thing". I wouldn't trust any public official not to steal anything that gets turned in but you go and do whatever makes you feel good. What they did do is keep it for themselves and then blow off bragging about it. Comments here are on the stupidity of bragging about it. Those comments would also apply to those who were on a property legally and blew their mouths off about a recovery and ended up in court being sued for possesion by all the former property owners and all the neighbours. That fifteen seconds of glory carries a very heavy price. After enriching two sets of lawyers it is very likely that a court will rule that when they bought the camper it included all the parts and all the contents. There won't be anything left to what they found but the IRS will be after them anyway and I'm sure they will feel all warm and fuzzy about the whole experience. siegfried schlagrule

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions