What's new

How Many Boxes?

CopperRocket

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering how many boxes of halves that everyone searches per week or month. Also what are your averages or totals for this number of boxes? If you could post your general location that would be great as well. I would love to get an idea of what the ratio of boxes to finds is in different parts of the country.

Thanks and happy hunting!
 
Upvote 0
I get 4 boxes a week and my results so far have not been that well. I have only started about a month ago and thus far I am averaging about 1 keeper per 4 boxes. Based on what I see posted here, there are many others that go through way more than 4 boxes a week. Seems like people do not post about all the skunk boxes but do post about good finds - so don't think just because you see all these posts about the great boxes, that is the norm. I have seen posts from people who go 10+ boxes with 1 keeper.
 
CopperRocket,
When I started I hit a box a week. Then I shifted to two a week. After that I did two from one bank and one from another each week. Finally, after shifting around, traveling to nearby big cities, laying off, and starting up again, I've settled into the routine of doing four a week from a local bank.
The number of boxes you may want to do, or doing bags vice boxes, is pretty much a decision that you need to make based on your personal situation. For me, four is a good number, it is not too big a volume that I have a hard time dumping, and it is a high enough volume that skunks are off-set by rich boxes. One thing I recommend you factoring in to all the other things to consider is consistency -- stick with it and trust your instincts.
Hope this helps you.
Steve
 
I think that was on purpose!
 
favored papa said:
you forgot to tell us how many you do and your general location.

I am in Northeast Ohio and so far I have done 1 order for 8 boxes last week. I only got one keeper, so I am trying to gauge what a normal take is.
 
CopperRocket said:
favored papa said:
you forgot to tell us how many you do and your general location.

I am in Northeast Ohio and so far I have done 1 order for 8 boxes last week. I only got one keeper, so I am trying to gauge what a normal take is.

I have been doing this (CRHing and reading this forum daily) for about a year now. I can tell you this: there is absolutely no way to gauge what is "normal." It will vary widely from bank to bank and from area to area. Some folks on here find almost nothing. Some average 3-4 or more keepers per box on a bad week, and much more on a good one. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle. It pretty much comes down to where you live, how much competition you have, and just how lucky you are. The only real way to find out is to order a bunch of boxes, see what happens, and decide if its worth the trouble or not. Good luck!
 
favored papa said:
you forgot to tell us how many you do and your general location.

HAHA.. I'm guessing you're trying to see what the waters are like before you jump in.

Read the posts on this site and you can figure it out. There is no ryhme or reason how many one should expect per box. I've gotten good boxes before and also 13 skunk boxes in a row. No dream boxes for me however. I had a lot better results last year this time of year vs this year. Again, it's unpredictable. That's what makes it appealing. If you knew what you'd get per box everytime, it wouldn't be as interesting. I will say this. SOME LOCATIONS in this country are better than others. If you are in the Northeast, that is the best area based on what I've read in this forum.
 
CopperRocket said:
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering how many boxes of halves that everyone searches per week or month. Also what are your averages or totals for this number of boxes? If you could post your general location that would be great as well. I would love to get an idea of what the ratio of boxes to finds is in different parts of the country.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Copper,

That's a good question ! I used to order 8 boxes a week from 2 different banks that used the same courier service to deliver the coins. Let's call them Bank "A" and Bank "B".
"A" would have very few if any skunk boxes. "B" would have a minimum of 4 skunk boxes or more,but would once in a while throw one rich box.
Bank "A" changed courier services and still provided few if any skunk boxes. I've tried both A and B in different parts of the State and the results were the same.
There are some banks that have lousy half dollar boxes,but have great dime boxes.
After 14 months Bank "A" is still delivering very few skunk boxes, but the number of keepers has dropped off a little bit.
Here is what you can do,and in fact I did myself. When I started ordering boxes I ordered six boxes from different banks, and eliminated the banks that had lousy boxes. It took me a month,and about 60 boxes,before I settled on the ones that I wanted to order from.
I prefer to order from banks close to me,but at times have driven as far as 50 miles to pick up from different branches.just to check it out.
After reading the posts for a couple of years,there are Cities and Towns,that are bone dry,but certainly not entire States.
Good luck
Rich
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom