What's new

Christmas came early

CJ9

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
619
Reaction score
1,902
Golden Thread
0
Location
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
So this goes back to the week before Thanksgiving when I went into a Wells Fargo in Manhattan in a part of town that I am not in all that often. I had gotten some dimes (skunk) and had asked for halves. The head teller said that she had $50 or so but I would need to come back because she couldn't get them right now (likely in the vault and they need 2 people to go in there to open it). I said I can't but I could come back next week (which was Thanksgiving week), but she said that she is out. So I said the week after Thanksgiving and she said she would have them. I went back the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, and just my luck she was off that day - but all was not lost - one of the other tellers had $5 in loose halves and out of those there was 1 1967 40%.

Freezing my ass off (was cold and windy here yesterday), I was able to get back over there yesterday, and she was there, and said that there were $20 in halves (don't know where the other $20 or $30 went but doesn't matter at this point) and I took them. Usually when I see these type of rolls I feel like I am getting the remnants of someone's box search. I walk outside and open the end and to my surprise there was a Walker. Then I see the whole roll is solid Walkers. I quickly look at the second roll and the same thing.

This game is all about numbers (volume) and luck. More luck than anything. If you look enough at some point a big find shows up.

Thanks for looking, and HH x2 (happy hunting and holidays)

halves1 12-15.webp
halves2 12-15.webp
halves3 12-15.webp
halves4 12-15.webp
 
Upvote 0
So this goes back to the week before Thanksgiving when I went into a Wells Fargo in Manhattan in a part of town that I am not in all that often. I had gotten some dimes (skunk) and had asked for halves. The head teller said that she had $50 or so but I would need to come back because she couldn't get them right now (likely in the vault and they need 2 people to go in there to open it). I said I can't but I could come back next week (which was Thanksgiving week), but she said that she is out. So I said the week after Thanksgiving and she said she would have them. I went back the Wednesday after Thanksgiving, and just my luck she was off that day - but all was not lost - one of the other tellers had $5 in loose halves and out of those there was 1 1967 40%.

Freezing my ass off (was cold and windy here yesterday), I was able to get back over there yesterday, and she was there, and said that there were $20 in halves (don't know where the other $20 or $30 went but doesn't matter at this point) and I took them. Usually when I see these type of rolls I feel like I am getting the remnants of someone's box search. I walk outside and open the end and to my surprise there was a Walker. Then I see the whole roll is solid Walkers. I quickly look at the second roll and the same thing.

This game is all about numbers (volume) and luck. More luck than anything. If you look enough at some point a big find shows up.

Thanks for looking, and HH x2 (happy hunting and holidays)

View attachment 2237443View attachment 2237444View attachment 2237445View attachment 2237446
You can't beat that paying $20 for over $900 in silver!!!
 
I've only had that kind of luck once with coin roll hunting. I bought a roll of Benjamín's for face value at the bank. It helped that my sister was working there at the time as a teller and spotted them. You did very well with getting those two rolls. - Merry Christmas!!
 
You can't beat that paying $20 for over $900 in silver!!!
Thanks, but here is one. So you would think its $900 worth of silver and technically it is. But...

over the last 2 weeks or so I tried to sell some really junky coins (war nickels, dimes, quarters, halves) - stuff that was worn, beat up, etc (all stuff I had found over the years) given that silver was $60+. All in, it was 27.9 oz (so for fun say round down to 27oz because coins were worn). I first go to a coin dealer, who earlier this year was paying melt for pre-1965 coins. I got offered about $32 an ounce for these. He said that refiners aren't buying silver, so the bid price relative to spot has widened.

I didn't know he was telling me a tall tale or what, but I couldn't sell this stuff, no matter how bad of condition it was in, for that little relative to spot. So yesterday, there was some traveling "we buy gold" place that was nearby (I guess these guys go around the country to various cities for a week and people come in and sell stuff to them), so I decided to check it out. I got offered I think $430, which is about 1/2 what the coin dealer was willing to pay. They knew I knew what I was talking about (my guess is people go into these places knowing nothing about the metals or the markets and they get ripped off essentially) so they said what would I want for each 1$ of coins (knowing the nickels multiple of face is higher) and I said 30x, and 50x for the nickels (current price is about 46x face and 72x for nickels) and they said they cant. We talked for a bit and then they mentioned the refiners thing again.

Later on I looked up this and there are a ton of articles about how refiners are not buying junk silver (they have some backlog). Guess the best course of action is e-bay.
 
I've only had that kind of luck once with coin roll hunting. I bought a roll of Benjamín's for face value at the bank. It helped that my sister was working there at the time as a teller and spotted them. You did very well with getting those two rolls. - Merry Christmas!!
always helps when the tellers are willing to help you out and even better when she is in your family. Merry Christmas.
 
Your best price (if you want to sell) will be online to a website that buy and sells PMs (Money Metals, APMEX, etc).
Today with spot silver at $66, they are buying at $41 per $1 FV of 90% silver coins which is about $56 per oz.
 
Thanks, but here is one. So you would think its $900 worth of silver and technically it is. But...

over the last 2 weeks or so I tried to sell some really junky coins (war nickels, dimes, quarters, halves) - stuff that was worn, beat up, etc (all stuff I had found over the years) given that silver was $60+. All in, it was 27.9 oz (so for fun say round down to 27oz because coins were worn). I first go to a coin dealer, who earlier this year was paying melt for pre-1965 coins. I got offered about $32 an ounce for these. He said that refiners aren't buying silver, so the bid price relative to spot has widened.

I didn't know he was telling me a tall tale or what, but I couldn't sell this stuff, no matter how bad of condition it was in, for that little relative to spot. So yesterday, there was some traveling "we buy gold" place that was nearby (I guess these guys go around the country to various cities for a week and people come in and sell stuff to them), so I decided to check it out. I got offered I think $430, which is about 1/2 what the coin dealer was willing to pay. They knew I knew what I was talking about (my guess is people go into these places knowing nothing about the metals or the markets and they get ripped off essentially) so they said what would I want for each 1$ of coins (knowing the nickels multiple of face is higher) and I said 30x, and 50x for the nickels (current price is about 46x face and 72x for nickels) and they said they cant. We talked for a bit and then they mentioned the refiners thing again.

Later on I looked up this and there are a ton of articles about how refiners are not buying junk silver (they have some backlog). Guess the best course of action is e-bay.
Do you truly only want "and I said 30x, and 50x for the nickels (current price is about 46x face and 72x for nickels) and they said they cant." Heck, I'll pay you 30X face for the coins, as long as they are not slicks. SHall we talk?
 
Your best price (if you want to sell) will be online to a website that buy and sells PMs (Money Metals, APMEX, etc).
Today with spot silver at $66, they are buying at $41 per $1 FV of 90% silver coins which is about $56 per oz.
Yep. I talked to a buy who normally pays me a little over race for 90% junk. He was at $41.50 per $1. WHen melt is at 48X face. Amazing the discount they have dropped to. SO the questions is ... should one sell their eagles for spot (Which is all they are offering even for Eagles!!) and buy junk, figuring in the future the ratios will come back more to normal. I like Eagles better though, so tough to do, but thinking of it. If silver goes up, they both go up. If it goes down, they both go down. But is the GAP (ratio) between them narrows, one is ahead by doing the swap. hmmmmmmm
"Today with spot silver at $66, they are buying at $41 per $1 FV of 90% silver coins which is about $56 per oz."
 
Fantastic! Congratulations and Merry Christmas!
 
Spectacular job
Congratulations on your success!!!!
Merry Christmas..
 
Yep. I talked to a buy who normally pays me a little over race for 90% junk. He was at $41.50 per $1. WHen melt is at 48X face. Amazing the discount they have dropped to. SO the questions is ... should one sell their eagles for spot (Which is all they are offering even for Eagles!!) and buy junk, figuring in the future the ratios will come back more to normal. I like Eagles better though, so tough to do, but thinking of it. If silver goes up, they both go up. If it goes down, they both go down. But is the GAP (ratio) between them narrows, one is ahead by doing the swap. hmmmmmmm
"Today with spot silver at $66, they are buying at $41 per $1 FV of 90% silver coins which is about $56 per oz."
The rise in spot price is being fuel by demand for pure silver for industrial uses. This demand exceeds refining capacity, so all the old silver coins and sterling silverware can't fulfill this demand. At some point the demand will either drop (recession) or new refining capacity will be brought onboard to meet this increased demand. At that point the rise in spot price will be halted and afterwards there should be a drop in spot price.

I would say, hold your silver and wait for the price to start to drop, then sell it all! Rebuy once the price settle down to its new level.
 
The rise in spot price is being fuel by demand for pure silver for industrial uses. This demand exceeds refining capacity, so all the old silver coins and sterling silverware can't fulfill this demand. At some point the demand will either drop (recession) or new refining capacity will be brought onboard to meet this increased demand. At that point the rise in spot price will be halted and afterwards there should be a drop in spot price.

I would say, hold your silver and wait for the price to start to drop, then sell it all! Rebuy once the price settle down to its new level.
You are behind the times i am afraid... and incorrect with refineries... they have nothing to do with it... never have.
We use far more silver than can or will be produced in the foreseeable time... that is solely on mining sector.
Refineries ONLY refine ... what has been mined.
Primary demand is industrial... yes... but now silver is becoming what it has been for thousands of years again... money.
Demand will only increase.
These are different times now.
This is and will be a historic climb unlike anything seen before.
$100 silver is just days away... and only the beginning.

Silver will no longer be suppressed from its true value.
It has been undervalued for eons on purpose and those reins are now broken.

I suggest you tune into this thread...
 
Last edited:
You are behind the times i am afraid... and incorrect with refineries... they have nothing to do with it... never have.
We use far more silver than can or will be produced in the foreseeable time... that is solely on mining sector.
Refineries ONLY refine ... what has been mined.
Primary demand is industrial... yes... but now silver is becoming what it has been for thousands of years again... money.
Demand will only increase.
These are different times now.
This is and will be a historic climb unlike anything seen before.
$100 silver is just days away... and only the beginning.

Silver will no longer be suppressed from its true value.
It has been undervalued for eons on purpose and those reins are now broken.

I suggest you tune into this thread...
If silver is becoming money you would be able to use it to buy or sell goods or services. You can't and you won't in near future. You may not like fiat currency but it isn't going anywhere quick.

Consider reading:
 
If silver is becoming money you would be able to use it to buy or sell goods or services. You can't and you won't in near future. You may not like fiat currency but it isn't going anywhere quick.

Consider reading:
You have taken the silver for money in the literal sense btw.
No need to read...
I am well versed on what's going on in silver.
 
Silver was taken from money in 1970.... and will not return... but what WILL happen is silver along with gold will BACK the money and assets again or it will fail.
Banks and countries are currently stepping away from un-backed paper promises.

It is you that needs to read.
Dont feel alone.... most do not know what is really going on quietly.
Silver is drying up as we speak... you are either on the "in" or your on the "out" of metals.
This IS a reset of the currency market.
 
Last edited:
That happened to me once about 20 years ago, the bank had 32 customer rolls, well most of them were mine I had already checked but I took them all anyway. AND TWO of them were solid WALKERS! Best find ever! So I know exactly how you feel. I still have them - I have never sold a single silver find ever!

Walkers 2 rolls resize2.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom