How Many Of You CRH Hunters Get Pennys ?

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you save all the Copper Pennies? In my opinion that's the entire reason to do Pennies. An almost guaranteed steady return. I've never searched a whole box, but I've searched a few rolls, even searched $20 in CWRs once. One trick to move faster handsorting them is to immediately pull out the shiny ones, since they usually tend to be Zinc. You might miss a few Copper, but the time saved would be worth well more than the few Coppers missed.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't done pennies in a while. But yeah, keep all the coppers. anything before 1982 save, because copper will eventually start to become more valuable. They say in 50 years copper will be rising similar to silver is today. Get copper now, I'll probly start searching pennies once a week and start hoarding it myself.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I bought four rolls for the first time on Saturday. Two of my rolls were almost 50% copper, and were brinks wrapped.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I do pennies. My best score was going into a bank to get halves and they asked if I collected, I said yes and they sold me a roll of 1952 wheats for face value.

While I'm not too crazy about copper pennies (as in, I'm not one of those guys with a Ryedale doing 100s of boxes for the copper, I do hand sort out all the copper ones) I do like the scores of wheats and the occasional Canadian.

spjegues

Apr 22, 2010
ID, UT, NV
I always get a couple of boxes with my half orders. I like them to mix in with my half's when dumping . I have just started doing large volume with copper culling.

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
mleblanc138 said:
One trick to move faster handsorting them is to immediately pull out the shiny ones, since they usually tend to be Zinc.

The problem with that is that you can miss some really nice coins. In my last box I pulled out a shiny red BU wheat penny (1955-d). If I wasn't paying much attention I could have easily mistaken it for one of those 2010-D shield pennies that are so plentiful.

It all depends what you are looking for though. I don't own a ryedale and never intend to do it just for the copper. I hand sort copper pennies, but what I am really looking to find a penny in there that is worth (by itself) the $25 I paid for the box. Most boxes don't have pennies like this, so in the mean time I will sort the copper.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I do cent bags, if my supply banks aren't able to offer me anything else. Only once did I search a box and it was only 60% Wheaties.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do brinks pennies every once in a while. I average 15-22 wheats per box. My last box had 18. oldest 1928d.
Got my first Indian Head Penny the box before last, it was a 1908 in very nice shape.

OP
OP
Gaijun1

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
Im Actually New To The CRH Club
I Could Afford To Do Nickels And Dimes But Only a Box a Week
Since My Bank Charges $5 Per Box In Wv But i :dontknow:
Maybe I Need To Seek The Other Ones Out And Dump At My Bank
Keep Everything Before 82 :icon_thumleft:
Should Get a Coin Sorter But What One ?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gaijun1 said:
Im Actually New To The CRH Club
I Could Afford To Do Nickels And Dimes But Only a Box a Week
Since My Bank Charges $5 Per Box In Wv But i :dontknow:
Maybe I Need To Seek The Other Ones Out And Dump At My Bank
Keep Everything Before 82 :icon_thumleft:
Should Get a Coin Sorter But What One ?
so you are paying $5 per box of coins meaning $30 for a penny box(20% more then face), $105 for nickel box(5% more than face), $255 for dimes(2% more than face), and $505 for quarters(1% more than face)... I strongly suggest unless you get enough huge scores on pennies and sell the copper, not to do pennies considering you can find silver in all other denominations, plus that will make you broke over time. I personally find nickels the most popular choice that I search, next following pennies/half dollars since banks in my area do not charge me any fees whatsoever. I think it's time to find another bank who will supply you with boxes of coins for free, you can save a bundle! Keep up the good searching, I am looking forward to seeing your next post on finds!

OP
OP
Gaijun1

Gaijun1

Oct 11, 2010
Morgantown Wv
I Contacted My Bank About Chargeing Me The Additional $ 5 Dollors On Top Of The $ 25 For Pennys
And They Told Me That Brinks Charges Them To Bring Them In For Us CRH ers :icon_scratch:
Maybe I Need To Call Them And See If They Do Indeed Charge Us

Thanks For Correcting Me Buffolo Boy

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say find another bank as well. I got scowled at a little for dumping $1700 at one bank of america, but he didnt charge me, just said keep it under 1000 next time please. I said I would and would spread my dumps out and he appreciated that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread