How many of you USE a sling to Help support your Detector ?

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a new CTX3030 last month. Also the Minelab Pro Swing 45. It is a must for me. Without it, I can only swing about 30 min. With it can swing until I just get tired. A pain in the rear to lug to the car with my back back and CTX. Key to this swing harness is to get it adjusted properly so it will work properly.
Bungie cord was critical in its placement on the shaft for me. First put it on the shaft below the control box handle and they made my wrist sore. Now placed it above the control box handle and that worked much better for me.

The bungie hook is very good velcro and you tighten it down properly, it will not move at all on the shaft.
The bungie cord is a very easy release from the hook when you wish to lay the detector down. Easy to reconnect. The adjustment of the bungie for the height of the coil is so very one handed easy. Not cheap, but worth every penny if you need a good swing harness for a heavier detector or coil.
when you put a 17 inch coil on the 3030 you will really appreciate the sling :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems many are missing one of the main purposes of a sling when water detecting, it is not just to support the coil weight, one of the primary reasons for the sling is so I can let go of my detector and use both hands to dig with scoop when in the surf, detector hangs right by my side, coil down controls up out of the way as I dig.

When trying to recover a target in between swells it helps to be able to use both hands on scoop.

Unless the Deus stands on its own by your side as the waves roll over you I would still be using a sling.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harnesses are passe. Like radio tubes in detectors. Yesterday's meatloaf.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
giphy.gif

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased one back in 1999 to use with my Sovereign.
I've used it with all my Minelabs.
Sovereigns & Explorers over the next 20 + years .

First was the "Swingy Thingy".
000AAA.jpg

Then the "Treasue Buddy"
000bbb.jpg

The Treasure Buddy /treasure pal
are Much Better. Only because I got too round for the Swingy Thingy
which rapped around my Chest. I never checked if it can be adjusted. but it was a bit Claustrophobic having to be strapped into it. as the Buddy / Pal can just slide off your shoulder as you kneel

Attachments

• 000bbb.jpg
    000bbb.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a small tether line when I used to water hunt. But I don't use anything on land. I don't like the velcro cuff strap when I'm hunting either. I do need something to strap it to my back while hiking though. The M6 gets a little heavy after a few miles of walking, even if it does only weigh 4 pounds or so.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a sling on my equinox and excalibur because you can't set the detector down underwater or it'll be gone lol. I use an old bike inner tube and tie it around the handle. Its got some give and it can be made just the right length. They're free at any bike shop. Word of warning they can leave a black streak on your shoulder and if its got a big hole it will take on some water thats annoying. I get them a handful at a time at my local shop. Let me see if I have a photo

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I get a XP Deus 2, I don't foresee the need for a swing harness. Which is great, the Minelab Pro Swing is necessary for me now with the CTX3030. Never needed one with the 800 and certainly cannot see using one for the XP D2

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems many are missing one of the main purposes of a sling when water detecting, it is not just to support the coil weight, one of the primary reasons for the sling is so I can let go of my detector and use both hands to dig with scoop when in the surf, detector hangs right by my side, coil down controls up out of the way as I dig.

When trying to recover a target in between swells it helps to be able to use both hands on scoop.

Unless the Deus stands on its own by your side as the waves roll over you I would still be using a sling.
Another great Point Treasure_Hunter

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A piece of string will do the same thing and a lot cheaper.

ALSO AND MORE IMPORTANTLY the detectors that NEED a sling are also going the way to the dinosaurs. There may be a market for the 5 pounds of metal in each one and the old but working radio tubes however.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've attached a sling to every detector I've ever used...including the Deus...a Pro-swing 45 is a great harness.
The sling, regardless of a detector's weight, frees up both my hands for doing other things and not having to lay my detector down in the sand or dirt is a nice plus.

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weight wise I would never have thought about a sling. But I could see the benefit when I'm hunting in shallow water. My coil is not an issue, but the control box...

I don't hunt the river bank often mostly because I worry about dropping my detector, I may have to rethink this sling idea. It's not worth going waterproof no more than I get to do it, but this sounds like a cheap way to get more outta what I have,

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not lay your detector down in the dirt! Oh, the Horror of it! Laying it in the dirt is fine! THROWING it down is better! Burying it is even BETTERRRRR. And half burying it, sitting on it and then trying to find out where you put it is BESTEST! But I would only do that with a Deus. Did you note I was talking from experience?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not lay your detector down in the dirt! Oh, the Horror of it! Laying it in the dirt is fine! THROWING it down is better! Burying it is even BETTERRRRR. And half burying it, sitting on it and then trying to find out where you put it is BESTEST! But I would only do that with a Deus. Did you note I was talking from experience?
When you are waist to chest-deep in the saltwater with rolling surf, throwing, laying, dropping, or burying detector is not really a good choice. :tongue3:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But dear one, I don't play in the water. Monsters live out there.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the detector pro sling with all my machines including the Deus, even the extra weight of the DEUS if I swing too far will cause pain, Degenerative disks,and bad shoulder is a bad combination.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I get a XP Deus 2, I don't foresee the need for a swing harness. Which is great, the Minelab Pro Swing is necessary for me now with the CTX3030. Never needed one with the 800 and certainly cannot see using one for the XP D2
That post was early on with my CTX3030. At the time I was considering the XP Deus 2. But now after 7 months on the CTX I am pretty sure the CTX is my forever detector. Yes I use a swing harness. Doc's Swingy Thingy is perfect for me. Very well made and I like better than the Minelab harness. One may reason not buying the XP2 as an additional detector is I really prefer to learn one detector and gain experience on that detector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purchased one back in 1999 to use with my Sovereign.
I've used it with all my Minelabs.
Sovereigns & Explorers over the next 20 + years .

First was the "Swingy Thingy".
View attachment 2006616
Then the "Treasue Buddy"
View attachment 2006618

The Treasure Buddy /treasure pal
are Much Better. Only because I got too round for the Swingy Thingy
which rapped around my Chest. I never checked if it can be adjusted. but it was a bit Claustrophobic having to be strapped into it. as the Buddy / Pal can just slide off your shoulder as you kneel
Jeff I sure remember the name Swingy Thingy LOL

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure came in HANDY when using one of my CTX's

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions