What's new

How many search for error coins?

Ifyndit

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2007
Messages
255
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I have to admit when I first started this hobby in December of 2007 I was only looking for silver,proof, and NIFC coins. Then I learned about a few other 50 cent pieces that I should keep an eye out for (1974D ddo, 1982P no FG, etc) so I started looking for some of those coins. In the process I have found many dirty die strikes, three lamination errors, several 1994P double ear, 1991P double face, 1983P ddr and some others. I also discovered that by shopping around at several coin dealers there was a market for many of these error coins. Some cases, depending on the error, they were paying far more than any common silver coin I was finding. Now I always search for error halves (at least the ones I'm familiar with). Yes, it does take a little longer to search each box but even if I don't find silver I usually find a mint error, hence rarely do I ever have a skunk box.

Attached is a sampling of some of my finds.
 

Attachments

  • 8rev close.webp
    8rev close.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC00812.webp
    DSC00812.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC00740.webp
    DSC00740.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00255.webp
    DSC00255.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 8rev close.webp
    8rev close.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC00812.webp
    DSC00812.webp
    22.7 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC00740.webp
    DSC00740.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 1obv.webp
    1obv.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC00255.webp
    DSC00255.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 221
Upvote 0
Good eye. The second picture looks to be mechanical doubling, pretty common and really not much of a market out there for it. The third looks to be a type of a collar error, again very common and not much of a market. I have found many of these and never keep any.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom