How many times have you said this, "I deal with idiots".

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

I guess I'm just venting here, but I just spent the last 4 days on the phone with a client that doesn't know anything about debugging basic electricity. And all the while blaming me for the problem, and then.... and THEN, finding that the connector to the unit that they just re-wired is lose (despite this working for the last 1.5 years).

"Oops, we're sorry we blamed you... and by the way, this makes since because we just re-wired the entire system... sorry we didn't mention this.

ARGH!!!!

((((((I deal with idiots)))))))

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: How many times have you said this, "I deal with idiots".

((((((I deal with idiots)))))))........... on a daily basis!!!! Sad but true. :help:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I did like 10K+ support calls for Compaq about 15 years ago for Compaq servers running Novell Netware (CNE back then). I had my share of challenged people, but there were funny ones too. One guy called in and said, "I need a fart number." There was a pause, and then he and I busted a gut and laughed for a full two minutes...neither of us could stop. That is one of the best forms of laughter...when you just can't stop.

Alternatively, I had a bad day and wasn't very pleasant to a gentleman who didn't deserve it. He remained civil throughout the conversation, got the information he needed and I said good-bye and he says, "Good-bye, and thank you for being a complete ***hole." Click. I learned a lot from the one statement and the manner in which it was delivered. Touche'.

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

At a former company I was with, the guy in charge of the IT dept. would always attempt a fix of anything electronic, with "Turn it off and turn it back on". No lie, every single time. Hmm, maybe he got that job because he was the owner's son?

Scary thing is, he then went to work for some aviation company. Everyone's first thought ~ "Yes, I know you're at 35,000 feet...but could you turn the plane off and back on, please?"

S

Smee

Kenosha Kid said:
At a former company I was with, the guy in charge of the IT dept. would always attempt a fix of anything electronic, with "Turn it off and turn it back on". No lie, every single time. Hmm, maybe he got that job because he was the owner's son?

Scary thing is, he then went to work for some aviation company. Everyone's first thought ~ "Yes, I know you're at 35,000 feet...but could you turn the plane off and back on, please?"

The flip side of that is: How many times did it work. If only 20% of the time . . . in the IT world that's HOURS of unnecessary work avoided so that he could spend more time on other IT issues.

As a computer tech, you have no idea how many times a customer will bring in their computer because it has a "virus". So, I explain that the use of "file sharing" software is really unsafe and show them how they got the virus. I point to the sign which takes up a large space on one wall of my shop:

NOTICE!
Before any viruses can be removed, company policy requires the removal of all file sharing software.

Another sign on the opposite end of the shop is worded slightly different.

Everyone wants to "save" what they have on their computer, so they all request that I just get rid of the virus regardless of how long it takes. No problem.

When they retrieve their computer, guess what the biggest complaint is?

It's that their filesharing application has been removed.

If you stick your hand down a rabbit hole and get snake bit, how many times do you have to do it before you realize that the rattlesnake down there is going to bite you?

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

"RTFM" was our favorite. The on/off/reboot philosophy is the best way to go for some issues if the device has any type of processor. The guy just "over-scoped" the solution perhaps...lol.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Yeah, pretty much anyone whose ever dealt with the public will say that.

I often wonder what kind of calls OnStar must get.

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

Smee said:
The flip side of that is: How many times did it work. If only 20% of the time . . . in the IT world that's HOURS of unnecessary work avoided so that he could spend more time on other IT issues.

It rarely worked. One of the biggest problems was the anti-virus programs installed were on a computer (at our branch, at least) that was not used by anyone for everyday company business. Nobody (on our end) knew it was the one that protected all the rest in our branch. Even the branch manager thought it was just there to collect dust. It'd be numerous calls, etc. before they (his replacement) decided to actually drive the hour from Chicago and discovered that one was faulty and thus allowed the others to become corrupted.

Point being...the guy was looking for the easy 'one size fits all' remedy and always talked to you like you were at fault. We all know someone like this.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• nick_burns.jpg
    nick_burns.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 328
S

Smee

Kenosha Kid said:
Smee said:

It rarely worked.

Yep, it rarely does --- but WHEN it does it's a big time saver, and for my customers, a money saver. And yes, I have done SEVERAL service calls where all I did was plug the surge supressor back into the outlet. That's why we always ask: Is it plugged in? followed by Is the Power Strip plugged in?

After they say yes, I don't feel so bad about charging them to plug their computer in.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

((((((I deal with idiots))))))) Most are lib's the rest are Politician's :tongue3:

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

As an aside, I actually got a video from him. He sent me this video of him hitting the side of the 'box' (it's about as big as a soda machine). So, when he 'hit' the box, the lights would flicker and everything went out for a second.... His theory was, it was my board that was causing the problems. I told him that there is obviously an issue with the power between the plug and the electronics inside. What it turned out to be, was a connection between the fuse and the wall outlet that they re-wired. Again, this is after it had been working great for the last 1.5 years. This dummy actually has the gall to send me a video with him 'hitting' the side of this chassis, and saying, "Hey, it looks like your board is failing.... See this evidence???".
I about flipped my lid... but at least I have somewhere to vent.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You could always suggest he use the technique in the video on himself...might help according to his theory :laughing7:

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

I never said that I deal with idiots, I just say that I deal with the general public..

S

Smee

lonesomebob said:
I never said that I deal with idiots, I just say that I deal with the general public..

I say Pō-tā-tō, you say pō-tă-tō. Same thing. In general, cattle with a herd mentality and no ability to reason.

That's how they get suckered in by the Man Made Global Warming alarmist, the anti-gun pacifists, etc., etc., etc.

JoeMoto

Jan 3, 2006
Oklahoma

Smee said:
I say Pō-tā-tō, you say pō-tă-tō. Same thing. In general, cattle with a herd mentality and no ability to reason.

That's how they get suckered in by the Man Made Global Warming alarmist, the anti-gun pacifists, etc., etc., etc.

Wait. Global Warming isn't real?? :wink:

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes

Well now, global warming is real, but it doesn't mean what the average person thinks, it refers to overall global mean temperature. In the real world what we're dealing with is climate change or shift. This is also real and, again, generally not what the average schmo thinks it is. Both are slow, long term problems but people go into either denial or chicken little mode. People always seem to run to the extremes and never stop and think things through and just jump to silly conclusions.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

then theres theflip side of the issue --- once upon a time -- I had a "road assistance" card with a rather large company * -- after a hurricane came byand knocked all the power lines down at my cousins place in cocoa beach . florida some time back -- I had a generator loaded up on my pick up truck and took it to him to have power for his home --returning from said mission of mercy -- on I 95 --some debris flattens my truck tire , so --I call "the service"---ut oh --first bad thing --the dreaded Indain or Pakistan sing song tone -- hello my name is (the pause as they look to see their "name" for that day )-----------( bob, george ,pete) which you know 100% is not their "real" name --------how can I help you?

i say well I'm on my wayback home northbound on I 95 near mile so and so near titusville ,floridaand I had a flat tire and need assistance -- where is I 95 he ask ? -- I say its the major north / south highway along Americas east coast * ( duh--if you work for a road side help service -you should at least know the MAJOR HIGHWAYS LIKE SAY--- I 95 , I 75 AND I 10 ) --well after teaching him basic American wheres the highway location 101 -- i give him my cell number for him to get me service * --after 20 min --he calls bacck --all of our services in that are can not respond at this time ( uh because tey were buzy charging 3 x times their normal price to help folks during this "emergancy") --so they said to me -- IF YOU CAN FIND A SERVICE --SEND THE BILL IN AND WE WILL "REIMBURSE" YOU UP TO THE COVERED AMOUNT -- (ie your on your own sucker - good luck)--i asked well can you at least give me some local area numbers --so i can get help -- I'm sorry butI do not know them (then how in gods name did you contact the local shops you got under contract you twit?)--- so there I was --luckily for me a cop came by and he radio called in a for help -- (seems if a cop calls in help --they must respond if they do not the "repair service" will get yanked off the rotating call list for police reported calls for tows from accidents -- which makes most of em --big bucks all year long

needless to say once my claim was processed --i dropped the know nothing / do nothing auto help service.

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes

onfire said:
((((((I deal with idiots))))))) Most are lib's the rest are Politician's :tongue3:

You and Smee need to head over to the politics forum and get a room, preferably padded for your safety.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread