What's new

How much would you trust what the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 reads and doesnt read?

Melissa Archibald

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
60
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much would you trust what the Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 reads and doesn't read?

I have a question for anyone with bounty hunter quick draw 2 experience, how much would trust what it reads either way? for coins and things it is nearly 100% accurate and for finding iron and things but for gold and other metallic minerals it appears not so much.
 
gold shows up as foil/pulltab on all MDs.. you gota dig it all if your looking for gold.. Go to the beach where gold gets lost.. don't go the picnic area where foil and pull tabs get lost..
 
Melissa, the BHers are not what you need if serious metal detecting is in anyway involved.
We were all at one time new to metal detecting. Some in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Myself, only 5yrs past. Bounty Hunter machines are toys. Sorry if you have one.
I respect all of your posts, but multitude is not the answer.
Peace ✌
 
Melissa, the BHers are not what you need if serious metal detecting is in anyway involved.
We were all at one time new to metal detecting. Some in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Myself, only 5yrs past. Bounty Hunter machines are toys. Sorry if you have one.
I respect all of your posts, but multitude is not the answer.
Peace ✌

C'mon Man,
I started with one 10 yrs ago. Wouldn't trade my finds from the 3 yrs I used it, for any 3 yrs of your finds. Just sayin'. Learn your machine and wisely choose your sites, and you will do fine
 
Melissa, that's a very good starter machine. Learn it, spend some time with it and you will do fine. With any machine, its more about what you hear, than what it says. Choose your hunting sites for a reason. You will do fine.
 
Melissa, as other's have stated, learn it. You will then learn, you will need a much more powerful/accurate machine, if you choose to become a successful metal detectorist.
GL
Peace ✌
 
Metal detectors are not HAL or R2D2. They do not think. They display what the designers programmed them to display with certain changes in soil conductivity. My first "real" detector does not have a display. I don't trust it or distrust it. When I get a solid hit I dig. And when I get an "iffy" hit I X over it and, if I get any consistancy I still dig because for every 25 pulltabs I get a ring.
 
Nitric is right on! As I stated in another post, I have 5 BH detectors and have over 600 coins that I felt were worth keeping. Probably about 70% of these were found in 1980 and 1981. I haven't done much detecting since then; but still enjoy it when I can get out. Don't ever let anybody tell you that BH is just a toy. I've found silver dimes over 5 inches deep. I found a 'V' nickel that was about 7 inches deep. Of all the detectors that I've used, I've never found one that I like or thought was better than the BHers. I have two BH 840s, a Tracker II, a Tracker IV, and a Lone Star. All work well enough for me!
 
People here sometimes poo poo less expensive detectors but don't listen to them. Just learn your machine and at first dig everything. I sometimes still do that because I couldn't ever possibly know every reading on my machine. I found a gold ring a few weeks ago and it was the same number as a pull tab,also found an eagle button that read as a pop top. Just go slow. My mister found a Civil War breastplate with an inexpensive BH. Happy digging and welcome to the forum.
 
Personally I'd say take something and cover the screen, then spend at least 200 hours detecting and learn what it is singing to you. Sounds not meters are what's makes somebody successful, IMHO as I'm old school and don't prefer a meter. For you get Dependant on its educated guess which most of the time is wrong anyway.

BC
 
On the BH 840 detectors, which are non motions detectors, I use the meter! But, the reason I do this is because it helps me pinpoint the find. I don't watch the meter otherwise. Also, it's just a 1 to 10 meter. It doesn't try to tell you that this is coin or this is ring, etc. I have a Tracker IV that is strictly sound; no meter, and I have a Lone Star which is sound and a meter. I haven't used the Lone Star enough to know how well the meter works; but I probably won't use it anyway! The different sounds are the key to what is being detected.
 
How do you get to the Treasure Hall Melissa? Practice, Practice, Practice. Your machine is just fine. The more you seek, the more you will find...
 
I started with a quick draw 2. It is a good machine and found enough clad and jewelry to pay for my upgrade to a Fisher F5 in my first year hunting. If you set it up right it is a coin killer.
 
Just dig everything. Thats what I do. (partly because I just want to know what it is no matter what kind of signal it reads) Eventually I will find enough of something to upgrade!!!
 
its true that all detectors detect metal.my daughter still has her little bh jr.When my wife started detecting she would only use that lil bh machine.She found some stuff and eventually could sort of guess what it was and sort of guess how deep.

I would outhunt her 20-1.When I pulled a gold ring from her plug(2 inches deeper than the pull tab she dug)she was over the cute lil machine.I got her an f2 and boy did her keeper rate skyrocket.Success in detecting is a skill,a numbers game,and just enough luck to keep it interesting,like poker.

Over time the more skilled armed with higher quality tools(they all matter)will dig more targets that have a higher likelyhood of being keepers.Its that simple.A friend goes out with me and the boys regularely and uses his tracker4.he has a hf pinpointer and a garden quality digger.

We are all getting a little tired of hearing how lucky we are and how bad his luck is.We are more skilled and better tooled...he doesnt have a chance save the fluke luck find(which he has)

Skill..research..tools..patience..luck_______in that order !!!
have fun hunting
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom