What's new

How often do 40%ers appear to be clad?

Rakattack

Full Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2010
Messages
150
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
SJ, CA
Hey guys, I was just reading a thread about how people just cut open the roll and peek inside for silver. If there's no silver, it goes back in the box. I don't have any coin counters that are free in my area so this will work perfectly for my half dollar boxes. But that got me wondering, I always hear stories about how someone found a 40%er even though the edge looked clad. How often does this happen? Thanks guys.
 
Upvote 0
It feel it happens so much that I do not trust my eyes to just rim search. First, I look at the rims but then I also look at each one for the date. Have found a few cud coins while looking at the dates. I suppose that if you are a high volume roller and in this just for the money, then looking at the dates may not be financially prudent for you. Just my opinion, feel free to differ. HH

FL Junkman
 
Rakattack said:
Hey guys, I was just reading a thread about how people just cut open the roll and peek inside for silver. If there's no silver, it goes back in the box. I don't have any coin counters that are free in my area so this will work perfectly for my half dollar boxes. But that got me wondering, I always hear stories about how someone found a 40%er even though the edge looked clad. How often does this happen? Thanks guys.

Rak,
I was the one that mentioned the slice and peek technique. What I failed to mention,and should have is that the banks are never too happy to receive the fed rolled coins back, and you will eventually lose dump banks. It is better to re roll the coins and not use the fed boxes to return them.
It is common to the untrained eye to miss some of the clad coins as some have a copper colored edge. This copper coloring is not exactly the same as a non silver coin. It can range from a light colored copper to a dark copper,very similar to a non silver clad with a subtle difference. You have to be very careful or you will miss them. Some people use the sound test. After edge searching they drop the coins in their hand to listen for the sound of silver.
I never miss a coin myself edge searching, but I am sure I did when I first started out, and could have missed dozens of coins.
It is also possible to find 40% and 90% with a blackened edge, so you have to be on the lookout for that as well.
Hope this helps
HH
Rich
 
I just edge search and then follow this practice.......WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK IT OUT
 
FL Junkman said:
It feel it happens so much that I do not trust my eyes to just rim search. First, I look at the rims but then I also look at each one for the date. Have found a few cud coins while looking at the dates. I suppose that if you are a high volume roller and in this just for the money, then looking at the dates may not be financially prudent for you. Just my opinion, feel free to differ. HH

FL Junkman

I use the same technique...Though I'm a newbe compared to most on the forum.
 
I also pour them from my hand into the Bag- if there be a silver one in the stream have heard it and went looking.
 
Rakattack said:
Hey guys, I was just reading a thread about how people just cut open the roll and peek inside for silver. If there's no silver, it goes back in the box. I don't have any coin counters that are free in my area so this will work perfectly for my half dollar boxes. But that got me wondering, I always hear stories about how someone found a 40%er even though the edge looked clad. How often does this happen? Thanks guys.

The answer is 100% of the time. They are silver clad. :)
 
Thanks for the responses guys.
Rich Hartford said:
Rakattack said:
Hey guys, I was just reading a thread about how people just cut open the roll and peek inside for silver. If there's no silver, it goes back in the box. I don't have any coin counters that are free in my area so this will work perfectly for my half dollar boxes. But that got me wondering, I always hear stories about how someone found a 40%er even though the edge looked clad. How often does this happen? Thanks guys.

Rak,
I was the one that mentioned the slice and peek technique. What I failed to mention,and should have is that the banks are never too happy to receive the fed rolled coins back, and you will eventually lose dump banks. It is better to re roll the coins and not use the fed boxes to return them.

HH
Rich
Rich, my dump bank (Chase) seems to LOVE fed rolled coins. They always ask me how I get them because they are in the plastic rolls. Is this unusual? :dontknow:
 
GMan00001 said:
Rakattack said:
Hey guys, I was just reading a thread about how people just cut open the roll and peek inside for silver. If there's no silver, it goes back in the box. I don't have any coin counters that are free in my area so this will work perfectly for my half dollar boxes. But that got me wondering, I always hear stories about how someone found a 40%er even though the edge looked clad. How often does this happen? Thanks guys.

The answer is 100% of the time. They are silver clad. :)
Got that right Gman, 'cause they ARE clad!
 
I've found at least 10 of them this year that looked clad
 
cant miss with the ring test. i have a bunch that could have slipped by had it not been for the ring test. I do not date check.
 
not to often for me, but im glad i date search too, cuz i would miss a fair amount, since im stupid and not good at rim searching halves :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom