• ehh 019.jpg
    ehh 019.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 821
  • ehh 020.jpg
    ehh 020.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 859
S

stefen

To answer your post specifically, yes it's old and looks to be gold...probably late 1800's to early 1900's...I would think that the glass case would help date the glasses.

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Those are called Pince-nez Eyeglasses . There are many on ebay and as broken knee said some are gold filled.
Pince-nez Eyeglasses have no arms, they clip on to the nose. Thus the name Pince-nez which in French means – pincer, to pinch, and nez, nose. Pince-nez reached their peak popularity around 1885 and were popular until around 1920. During their prime, Pince-nez accounted for over two thirds of all eyeglasses worn in the US. They were so popular that the name eyeglasses referred specifically to Pince-nez; spectacles meant frames with ear pieces. There are two basic types of Pince-Nez, The C bridge and The hard Bridge. The general difference between the 2 is that the C bridge has a flexible bridge that presses down on the nose while the hard bridge is not flexible and is held in place by two spring loaded pads that clip on to the nose. Pince-nez started to fall out of favor to a large degree in the 1920s and haven't been manufactured since.

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pair of glasses. I've found the same information as already given. Nice that you have the safety chain with hairpin as well. This was probably a ladies pair.

Because eyeglasses were so fragile back then, they were often attached by the safety chain with ear clips, hairpins, neck chains, shirt clips, etc.

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/pages/pincenez-accessory.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
To answer your post specifically, yes it's old and looks to be gold...probably late 1800's to early 1900's...I would think that the glass case would help date the glasses.
thanks it looks like gold

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
taz42o said:
Those are called Pince-nez Eyeglasses . There are many on ebay and as broken knee said some are gold filled.
Pince-nez Eyeglasses have no arms, they clip on to the nose. Thus the name Pince-nez which in French means – pincer, to pinch, and nez, nose. Pince-nez reached their peak popularity around 1885 and were popular until around 1920. During their prime, Pince-nez accounted for over two thirds of all eyeglasses worn in the US. They were so popular that the name eyeglasses referred specifically to Pince-nez; spectacles meant frames with ear pieces. There are two basic types of Pince-Nez, The C bridge and The hard Bridge. The general difference between the 2 is that the C bridge has a flexible bridge that presses down on the nose while the hard bridge is not flexible and is held in place by two spring loaded pads that clip on to the nose. Pince-nez started to fall out of favor to a large degree in the 1920s and haven't been manufactured since.
this was in the trunk i found and it is spring loaded

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GpSnoopy said:
Nice pair of glasses. I've found the same information as already given. Nice that you have the safety chain with hairpin as well. This was probably a ladies pair.

Because eyeglasses were so fragile back then, they were often attached by the safety chain with ear clips, hairpins, neck chains, shirt clips, etc.

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/pages/pincenez-accessory.html
and i almost tossed it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
There are letters above "Grand Forks"--some appear as 'cian' as in 'optician' . Closer examination might give you the name of the retailer and with that info another chance to date the case.
Don.........
i will check it

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread