RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, found this item today at one of my favorite spots that has seen CW activity and the land is still in use. Screamed on my headset and I thought it was a can. I was very surprised to recover the gun part. I am familiar with modern day firearms but I cant I.D. this one. Its definitely a handgun part most likely. If anyone can help with any kind of ID would be helpful and possible age. The handle appears to be brass but I could be wrong. I checked the area for other parts but could not locate any. I cannot seem to locate any other markings on it. Any other areas to check? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Gun.JPG
    Gun.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Gun1.JPG
    Gun1.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Gun2.JPG
    Gun2.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Gun3.JPG
    Gun3.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 369

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colt?Where is Big Cy and Pete?

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is certainly similar to a Colt, but the bottom of the grip section has a peculiar shape to it. Are there any remains of a serial number just ahead of the trigger guard bow? It is broken in that area but there may be some of the serial number left. Could also be from a Manhattan revolver or one of the other Colt "clones" of the Civil War era.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a pic of the piece that was found with it that was broke off. It was somewhat cleaned and there is a visible serial number.

Attachments

• Part1.JPG
    Part1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
Well it is certainly similar to a Colt, but the bottom of the grip section has a peculiar shape to it. Are there any remains of a serial number just ahead of the trigger guard bow? It is broken in that area but there may be some of the serial number left. Could also be from a Manhattan revolver or one of the other Colt "clones" of the Civil War era.
Very good point.I have a good buddy that dug a Manhattan,I will have him compare

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
It looks like it could be from an 1860 Army to me.
Could be, but can't really tell for sure. Several of the Colt revolver models used virtually identical triggerguards.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:

LOL!My buddy has dug those too...message on its way to him!!

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
l.cutler said:
NOLA_Ken said:
Could be, but can't really tell for sure. Several of the Colt revolver models used virtually identical triggerguards.

Very true, There are three likely revolvers made by Colt that share this style of trigger guard. I say likely just based on the sheer numbers that were produced. Those are the '51 Navy, the '60 Army, and '61 Navy. I can't make out the serial # from the pic, but if you can read it, and post it here I can give you a date for each of those three models.

Remember, I'm not saying it is DEFINITELY one of those three models, only that those are the most probable candidates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
l.cutler said:
NOLA_Ken said:

Very true, There are three likely revolvers made by Colt that share this style of trigger guard. I say likely just based on the sheer numbers that were produced. Those are the '51 Navy, the '60 Army, and '61 Navy. I can't make out the serial # from the pic, but if you can read it, and post it here I can give you a date for each of those three models.

Remember, I'm not saying it is DEFINITELY one of those three models, only that those are the most probable candidates.

Thanks for your help. The last three digits I can definitely see is "711". There is rust partially covering the other numbers if there are any. Definitely stamped numbers because they are not perfectly lined up. Anyone now of a good way to get rid of the rust on the brass without destroying it. Thanks NOLA_Ken.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you might try to get the rust out of the numbers with the head of a sewing needle. Soak it with oil, and carefully run the needle in the numbers, and you may be able to flake it out without hurting the patina on the brass.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
you might try to get the rust out of the numbers with the head of a sewing needle. Soak it with oil, and carefully run the needle in the numbers, and you may be able to flake it out without hurting the patina on the brass.

Ok, I can see the first two numbers, "11 711". I cannot determine the third number. Hopefully the first two will help. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, a six digit serial number starting with 11 gives you these dates of manufacture :

'51 Navy - 1861 or '62 If the third number turns out to be 8 or 9 that will put you in 1862

'60 Army - 1863

'61 Navy - Only a little over 38,000 were made and they were discontinued in 1873, so a six digit serial number would rule out this model.

It will also rule out Walkers and Dragoons since their production also never reached that high. I also can find no model by Manhattan that reached that production number, so it's safe to rule that one out as well.

So if it is in fact from either of these, which I'd be fairly confident of, that will give you a date of manufacture to go with. It'll look good in a display for sure.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, 1851 Navy and 1860 Army are the most likely candidates. You could throw the 1849 pocket into the mix, production numbers are high enough, but the grip section looks a little long to be one. You can check out the serial numbers and production dates at proofhouse.com.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RiverRat3

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting