How Old Do You Think This Out House Is?

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. Pretty excited about this one. Just got permission to dig our first privy this upcoming weekend. Our map indicates a house near by in 1904 and nothing there on our 1937 Arial picture. Hopefully this thing is as old as I'm thinking. Either way we'll be laying it down and digging it up and detecting the surrounding area. Here's some pics. Good luck on your future hunts.

IMG_20220601_145115.jpg
IMG_20220601_145125.jpg
IMG_20220601_145131.jpg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think it is that old . By the moon cut on the side and the 2x4's used on the sides also

OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies fellas. I will look n out for poison ivy for sure. Since I'm very new to digging bottles I guess I overlooked the style of construction. My buddy found it last year and just got permission today. Hopefully we can probe around it and maybe find another privy near by. Also close to a river we can walk and search too.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful! Looks like some poison ivy there! Good luck though! Can't wait to see what you find!
Hahaha! We laugh at poison ivy! I,m not allergic to it,poison oak or poison sumac either.But it,s no laughing matter to those who are. Just kidding some! The lumber looks like finished lumber,not rough sawn like an old timer would use.I agree with smokeythecat.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare and Smokey are correct. I would put in 1940s range. That does appear to be the remains of a type of asphalt shingle on roof, the lumber is planed. The nails are round head common 8p and 16p, and the person that nailed together was around 6 feet tall and right handed if estimate of foliage and nail pattern is correct. They were fairly good cobblers, but knew nothing on outhouse protocol. The crescent moon should be sideways with crescent pointing to east or as close as possible toward east. If OH situated so not able to do so point it to the left.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare and Smokey are correct. I would put in 1940s range. That does appear to be the remains of a type of asphalt shingle on roof, the lumber is planed. The nails are round head common 8p and 16p, and the person that nailed together was around 6 feet tall and right handed if estimate of foliage and nail pattern is correct. They were fairly good cobblers, but knew nothing on outhouse protocol. The crescent moon should be sideways with crescent pointing to east or as close as possible toward east. If OH situated so not able to do so point it to the left.
You know your outhouses,I,ll say that!:laughing7:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a family when I was a kid that lived along a bayou I fished in a lot.Rumor was that they were a Waccan family that practiced the Craft as it,s called.You know,one of their sayings is anything you do,good or bad will come back to you threefold. This was near where the bayou turned into a swamp and was not visited much. They kept to them selves but you would see one of them some times from the bayou,real weird looking folks.The thing that strikes me is they used a outhouse and that outhouse had that upside down moon symbol,unlike any moon I,d ever seen on an out house before.It was a real eerie feeling to pass by there and I seldom lingered. My Grandmother knew a little about these folk and said the upside down moon was used to ward off any evil that might be around. The aroma of mystic spirits permeated the air,strange! The symbol on this outhouse moved my memories of the place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread