VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I cleaned out my pack from hunting a Civil War U.S. Infantry camp Friday and discovered what I had apparently thought was a shotgun brass filled with dirt. It looks to be a thick brass ring with 2 silver plated rings on the outside. Inside is a rectangular indention with letters. I can see "METAL" on the top and a "C" on the bottom. The other bottom letters look like hallmarks. The ring was soldered together. It looks modern to me but I'm not knowledgeable on jewelry. It looks a little small to be a kerchief slide. The inside markings are very difficult to read even with a loupe so I can't get a clear pic of them. Any info. appreciated. Thanks, Quindy.

Attachments

• DSCN0026.JPG
    DSCN0026.JPG
    838.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0027.JPG
    DSCN0027.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 161

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Q, that's an interesting find. Is the "C" one of the letters in a second word? ???
Hopefully one of the Tnet pro's can figure it out.
-DUHg-

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the "C" followed by "SA" ..:tongue3: .. No help on that one Quindy, but it is an interesting piece!

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure it is stamped METAL?

It 'looks' like a Spinner Ring, although your silver bands appear not to spin. There are quite a few variations of spinner rings, and some have bands that do not spin. This type of ring has been made for hundreds of years and up to the present time. Spinners are based on ancient Tibetan prayer wheels. Generally spinner rings have a band or bands that manually spin freely around the base of the ring.
This motion is 'supposed' to give the wearer a calming, peaceful effect.

Are you sure yours is brass and silver or could it be copper and silver?

I'd try to clean more so you can get a better look at the maker's mark.

Neat find :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you sure it is stamped METAL? It 'looks' like a Spinner Ring, although your silver bands appear not to spin. There are quite a few variations of spinner rings, and some have bands that do not spin. This type of ring has been made for hundreds of years and up to the present time. Spinners are based on ancient Tibetan prayer wheels. Generally spinner rings have a band or bands that manually spin freely around the base of the ring. This motion is 'supposed' to give the wearer a calming, peaceful effect. Are you sure yours is brass and silver or could it be copper and silver? I'd try to clean more so you can get a better look at the maker's mark. Neat find :) Breezie

Looks like it Breezie. If I can get a good macro pic, I may be able to make out the letters. Thanks, Q.

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quindy, I found a old thin unfinished looking brass ring a few years ago that I was told was a ladies wedding ring. Some people couldn't afford gold back then so they would use brass.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, not sure on this one, my guess would be early 1900s:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I believe it is a dime. Compared to the ring, The dime appears to be the size of a normal dime. You need to get a copy of Josh and mine's book. My best guess at the age of the ring is between 1810 and 2014 but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bearing? Brady
(
I thought about that too Brady but why the silver plate and the stamped letter & hallmarks on the interior. A veteran Tenn. hunter just told me that he dug one like it at an old home site and he was told it was an old ring and not a napkin or kerchief slide. A C.S.A. buckle & Isaacs & Campbell knapsack hook was dug at the site that day also. @Who knows?? Thanks, Q.

Upvote 0

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still curious about this. If you can read the hallmarks and stamped letters, somebody should figure this out. Isn't CASA Spanish?

Upvote 0

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"caso metalo" translates to "metal case" from Spanish to English. Casa= house. I know it isn't exactly what you said but maybe a hint?? It looks old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am still curious about this. If you can read the hallmarks and stamped letters, somebody should figure this out. Isn't CASA Spanish?
It is but can also be German. I'll see my jeweler friend on Thursday and hope he can read it. To clear up something, the 2 silver plated rings are on thre outside-NOT a spinner ring. BTW, the ring is .082" thick. Thanks, Q.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread