how old

You can't, just gotta guess by what it is, maybe the condition, maybe the depth, and by the timeline of the other finds around it.

If you hunt a lot in the same area, you can get a good idea by the dept. My farm is over 200 years old. If I find a coin between 3 1/2" & 4" it was lost around 1945. I know this because every coin at that dept that I have recovered was dated 1945 or older. I found a 1917 Wheatie at 51/2". I found a 1953 dog tag at 3". I hunted a 200+ year old yard 15 mi. from my farm and found a 200 year old blacksmith made ax head at about 11". The dept timeline works pretty well around here. In the desert area the timeline appears to be suspended. In Az. I saw a Fordson tractor muffler in the dessert just laying on the ground covered with desert varnish. It looked like it had been laying there forever!left][/left]

well, if you find a say an 1898 silver quarter in a hole, you start with that time, but when you check the hole before you fill it and you find a 1921 penny, you have to assume that the longest it would've been in the ground was sence 1921

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back