HOW TO ATTACH DAMPER?

mumsituk

Jun 15, 2011
Hi,
Anyone out there know how to attach a clear flexable plastic damper to header box? Lays down values, prevents bubbles. Would be nice to have it detachable so can vary different weight dampers - according to conditions (examples: sand bar -vs- heavy gravel material). I was thinking an allum. bar attached to damper that snaps on!! Then easy to switch back and forth in the field. Just brainstorming new ideas. :read2:
Thanks much, MUMSITUK

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have much on the subject but last year I talked to a widow of an old miner who had said her husband had mad a little paddle wheel that would run on top of the water in the sluice to get the fines to drop. Not sure if or how it would work but just thought I would put it out there for discussion.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Klondike here...

I use a piece of magnetic sign material... its heavy enough and helps hold the magnetics out the riffles when it floats on and in the running water....

Take a 1/2 to 3/4 to even a 1 inch wide flat, light gauge metal.. cut it slight smaller than your box and damper width...and use small u-bolts and insert them from the other side, after drilling hoes in the rubber and flat metal...but don't tighten them down to tight...allow the wire or pipe to turn easily inside the u-bolt... then run a very stiff or heavy gauge wire...or pipe through the u-bolts and attach the wire or pipe to your header at a good place where the rubber mat lays well into the box...the wire needs to be a real heavy gauge...hard to bend...I have even used 1/8 inch steel pipe...making the 90 degree turns with elbows.. and fastening the nipples off the other end of the elbows loosely by drilling a hole through the nipples with bolts on each side of the header box...tighten them up, but allow for swivel room as the damper moves up and down....

If you end up running really heavy water flow.. attach some more flat metal to the down stream end of the damper to hold it in the water better...

I have found this to be rather successful st up.....

Good luck..

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZ 2 do-2 pieces of aluminium and rubber flap material-OSH and Capital Rubber readily available. Simply bend 2- 90 degree angles to attach and poprivit the 2 pieces together and viola-removeable,adjustable by angle and minutes to make-party on as smooth and airless are where ya wanna be-John

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drill 2 hole in header box spaced about 2" in from edge. Insert an 8/32 X 1½ screw in each hole and secure with a nut. Take apice of 1" X 1/16" al. angle and cut it to width of damper, bend or fold angle with damper in middle with a little Shoe Goo to help hold it in there. Drill holes to match screws and use wing nuts to secure it to header box.

Gramps

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gramps thats pretty niffty
I was thinkin a pair of door hinges or piano hinge, throw the pin away and replace with Cotter Pins like the ones used for hitches, one half of hinge to the header box ( left and right side)and the other half to the damper
just a thought, bet ya can pick-em-up for next to nothing at a recycle place
2cmorau

Gramps43

Feb 27, 2011
Tillamook, OR
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that's a cool idea, half a dozen old hinges and you'd have enough for several dampers. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

Gramps

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole idea of a dampner is to utilize the durameter of the rubber to force the water down and the air out. A hinge negates this effect and make the flap just float and ruins the desired effect-John :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread