How to build an over/ under dredge conversion

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a good way to build yourself an over under conversion for your dredge. It doesn’t really matter what brand you are building it for. Mine is a Proline and it works great. I built the over under so that I could run my 4” dredge with a 9hp Honda with the Proline HP500 pump maxed out for the ultimate suction. It has suction to the extreme and it still floats fine on the stock flotation though it does ride a little lower in the water.

The first thing that I did was to gather up all the parts. I bought the punch plate off of a For Sale forum and I picked up the expanded metal and the piece of aluminum from a scrap yard down in Sacramento. All in all with buying off of the forum and buying used materials from the scrap yard, I have less than $150.00 invested in the metal and enough to do both of my dredges. The most expensive part was buying the new miners moss. I had tried contacting some of the vendors that were mentioned but I never got a call back from them. I ended up buying the miners moss from Pioneer Mining and the black ribbed I got for free from a friend.

000.jpg

The next thing that I did was to strip the sluice box down to bare metal and cut the aluminum and expanded metal to fit. I used my table saw for the aluminum so that I could get it down to a perfect fit with smooth sides. Then I had to figure a way to mount the punch plate so that it would have no openings, which would allow over sized material into the lower box. So I went down to the local Hardware Store and picked up a couple sticks of ¾×¾ 90° angle aluminum and cut them to fit in the front of the box and act like a slide for the punch plate. It worked great and gives the punch plate a real tight fit along with holding it at just the right height perfectly even with the metal lip on the sluice box opening. The punch plate fits between the two pieces of ¾² aluminum angle that you see fitted together under the opening for the flare in the picture below. These are large pictures from here on so click and save if needed.

DSCF0009.JPG

Next for the height on the lower box I just set in more of the angle aluminum to test it out. This gave me an opening of 9/16” in height which I figured would be the minimum three times the size of the material that I wanted for the 3/16 punch plate 3/16×3= 9/16. Also by doing it this way and if I needed more height I could have just riveted them to the aluminum plate and ended up with a ¾” opening but the 9/16 works great so it's been like that for years now.

DSCF0008.JPG

I cut a slide down the center of the aluminum so that I can adjust the amount of water flow into the lower box and so far I have ran it with about 3” of aluminum sticking out the back. Most of the gold that I got stayed in the miners moss directly under the punch plate and next I will start evaluating where the gold is all ending up in both the upper and lower box. 3” works great and having the 6" cut allows me to push it in flush with the tail end for easy storage.

DSCF0007.JPG

The next thing that I had to do was to mount the riffles back into the box and make them easily removable. I measured the height and started drilling the holes 2” above the bottom of the sluice so that I would get a tight fit. I mounted a small ¼” bolt on the lower end so that the stock hold downs could be used.

004.jpg

Part two
And I notched out the holes on the other side at an angle so that it would lock into place when the riffles are put in.

DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG

The next and final step was to mount the punch plate. Here’s the rest of the pics and you guys can build one of these great set ups for yourself from these instructions.

DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG

So this was how I built it for this box in 2005 and then I also have my complete series on how to build a dredge on YouTube that shows everything in action.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39A9E7B702FF1B8A

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For much better classification,prevent oversize going under,and protect them bigger nuggets up top I use 2 sizes of classifier with a bent lip to keep big on top. The extended oversized portion over the smaller first riffle and over the first bigger riffle rocks .Great pics Reed. Now don't ya just wish we could use'm open and notariously without hastles sic sic sic-John

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 362
  • securedownloadsizes.jpg
    securedownloadsizes.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 343
  • securedownloadCAUHR6YD.jpg
    securedownloadCAUHR6YD.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 352

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more pics for better example as attached a wrong one-wow did it again as pic don't match photo on puter???sorry-John

Attachments

• securedownload.jpg
    securedownload.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 333
  • uo.jpg
    uo.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I do miss the motorized dredging John, I actually still have vivid dreams of dredging underwater even after 4 years°°° :)

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You have to fly the skull and crossbones to remember Reed, maybe that will start to change soon.

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the size of the opening(roughly) to the underflow section measuring from the jetflair to the piece wih the slot cut in it and also what size raised expanded do you guys use in the underflow?

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a plate that moves up and down sluice to control amount of material going below. I run 3/4 expanded on lower section.

image-1947282318.jpg

image-133774087.jpg

image-3931792801.jpg

The results

image-710391175.jpg

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger the better the bottom opening all the way to just prior to the first riffle and extend the punchplate over the top of the first smaller riffle to keep the larger rocks from backing up into/packing that first riffle-John

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bigger the better the bottom opening all the way to just prior to the first riffle and extend the punchplate over the top of the first smaller riffle to keep the larger rocks from backing up into/packing that first riffle-John

I have the sluice bent for my 4" and this is where im at now. So about 8-12" a good starting point? My box is 46" in length. Ill put a 6 inch slot for adjusting like reed. Thanks guys

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a plate that moves up and down sluice to control amount of material going below. I run 3/4 expanded on lower section.

View attachment 1012219

Is that raised expanded just like that for the picture or do you run with it in that direction? Can't say I've run it that way so I'm curious. I always thought people ran the raised expanded like Reed has it, unless I'm looking the the sluice backwards?

I wish there was an easy way to do this to my 2.5" keene because I've thought about it but the sides are so tapered and probably more trouble than its worth. The extra classification would be nice though.

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okbasspro I Might have you confused with someone else but think I remember seeing one of your clean ups that suggested you were getting pretty good recovery on fine gold. Or maybe you were only catching 50% and dredging some paystreak with ridiculous amounts of fine gold .

FWIW I figure scenario 1. Thats the reasoning behind the question. Why would I ask when most people Reed included, run it the other way?

Best explanation might be the example of seeing a northern miners ( Yukon maybe, IDR) ribbed rubber mat in the high grade section, running 90deg perpendicular to the direction I was used to seeing.

I've decided to give this a go on my 2.5" keene dredge sluice. Probably not dredging this year so I removed the flare today. Panned out a tiny pinch of fines (because theres always goodies in there) but the picker I was hoping for was not to be found.

The little dredge sluice will be converted into a highbanker so this should help it process a little more If I can give it enough water. #8- to the undercurrent. Thinking of doing top 1/2 UC some type of mat and bottom 1/2 UC small raised exp on some type of carpet. Maybe I'll finally try that Gold Cube vortex conveyor stuff in the top 1/2 UC.

Also thanks again to Reed for posting this, think I saw it few years ago on 49ermikes and it would have been gone with all the rest if it weren't for Reed reposting.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember reading this info by Reed on another forum -which is now defunct- but can be found using the wayback machine of the internet archive .

Always a great read from reed :laughing7:

Expanded is very effective in catching small/fine gold. But there is other options if you type of gold is bigger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions