🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Detech Ultimate 13"
Whites V3i
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buckle Boy! Thanks for the info! I just toothpicked a sweet old button i found in a field last week. Turns out to be a 1830-1850s Federal Navy Officer's Hat/Sleeve button! Holy Cow! Thanks Buddy!

image1(2).JPG

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buckle Boy! Thanks for the info! I just toothpicked a sweet old button i found in a field last week. Turns out to be a 1830-1850s Federal Navy Officer's Hat/Sleeve button! Holy Cow! Thanks Buddy!

View attachment 1381622

Now THAT's a great find!! Thanks for sharing the photo and congrats on the early Navy!

Cheers,

Buck

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This again is another reason I so enjoy this Treasure Net Forum in general. You have fella's like "BuckleBoy" who give really good and sound advice based on their own trial and error over the years, and are open to share it with others, so that they may avoid making mistakes, something we have all done at one time or another with things we have found before. BuckleBoy, you are a most definite asset to the Forum. Thanks for the show & tell about this topic. It was REALLY good, even 9 years after you posted the thread.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I love this forum. Been a member a long time, and I enjoy helping people out. Wish there had been an Internet when I started digging, so that I didn't have to make the mistakes I made!

This again is another reason I so enjoy this Treasure Net Forum in general. You have fella's like "BuckleBoy" who give really good and sound advice based on their own trial and error over the years, and are open to share it with others, so that they may avoid making mistakes, something we have all done at one time or another with things we have found before. BuckleBoy, you are a most definite asset to the Forum. Thanks for the show & tell about this topic. It was REALLY good, even 9 years after you posted the thread.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I would have found this thread before I cleaned my buttons! Pretty sure I ruined all 3 of them. :sad5:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I would have found this thread before I cleaned my buttons! Pretty sure I ruined all 3 of them. :sad5:

Oh no! Post photos of them and I’ll try to help.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BuckleBoy .

Whats your opinion on using 'Petroleum Jelly ' instead of just 'skin oil'?

I dug a nice GA button last Summer & don't want to ruin it , (No Gilt ) 2 people have told me to use the P Jelly to protect it .
But I just don't know .
Thanks for your trusted opinion.
Davers

JWT70

May 26, 2012
Hey BuckleBoy .

I dug a nice GA button last Summer & don't want to ruin it , (No Gilt ) 2 people have told me to use the P Jelly to protect it .
But I just don't know .
Davers
I use mineral oil. It's safe. Idk about petroleum jelly.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info

Yes it's a very informative thread , I used these techniques a few times since joining T-Net.

Most people have their favorite method, Maybe all of the above ???

plains digger

Apr 21, 2009
Westwood Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Whites DFX
This post has been up for a while and helped hundreds of people, me included. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this information. Truly appreciated.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey BuckleBoy .

But I just don't know .
Davers

Hello my friend, sorry for the way late reply. Main problem with mineral oil is that it doesn’t stay put! Leaches out on other things and soaks into the relic. Skin oil stays put on the highlights. I’ve never tried petroleum jelly so if you do please post a photo and I’d put it only on the highlights and apply very lightly as there’s no reversing the process of using any oil on a button.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post has been up for a while and helped hundreds of people, me included. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this information. Truly appreciated.

happy to help! It’s great to see that people don’t have to make the same mistakes I did with cleaning (olive oil, water, etc).

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your kind reply. I love this forum. Been a member a long time, and I enjoy helping people out. Wish there had been an Internet when I started digging, so that I didn't have to make the mistakes I made!

Yes sir, you and me both brother.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you so much for sharing these great preservation tips! :occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friend, sorry for the way late reply. Main problem with mineral oil is that it doesn’t stay put! Leaches out on other things and soaks into the relic. Skin oil stays put on the highlights. I’ve never tried petroleum jelly so if you do please post a photo and I’d put it only on the highlights and apply very lightly as there’s no reversing the process of using any oil on a button.

There is a Low Country Member whose button finds look great (in photos sorry I don't have a link ) Maybe Barphing is the member but also the local guy who finds A-LOT suggested the PJ as well . I did put a little on a GS button it looked Cool & but Putting anything on my Beloved GA Button find from last year I'm weary , with it 'GA Button ' I have rubbed body oil on the high spots & will leave it that way for now.

As I said "everybody has their favorite technique".

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Thank you BuckleBoy for starting a great thread and keeping it up for all of us to share and learn from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread