What's new

How to clean coins and buttons?

28138digger

Jr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lexington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK I need a little help here. I have alot of copper coins and a couple of buttons I can not clean. (afraid to damage them). What is the best way to do this? I have used a soft brush with warm water and that is it. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.. Thanks and HH
 
http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Coins

iv heard a tumbler works great also and use glass beads or fish tank gravel to minimize scratching. I use white vinegar soak and warm dish water for mine. ive not used a tumbler this is only based off research ive done hope this helps, :read2:
 
The method of Rock Tumbling coins, tokens, and buttons is a great way to clean them with out damaging or scratching them.

Using Aquarium rock with a couple drops of dish soap and water, and tumbling them from two hours to over night depending on how dirty they are will do wanders for them. Do not tumble clad and copper coins together as the clad will take on a copper color if you do.

I am enclosing a couple photo's of a World War Two Button I found this spring and tumbled , as you can see the tumbler does a great job and does not scratch the button.

Best of Luck. Rick :coffee2:
 

Attachments

  • Mystery Button 002 (640x480).webp
    Mystery Button 002 (640x480).webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Mystery Button 004 (640x480).webp
    Mystery Button 004 (640x480).webp
    13 KB · Views: 245
For old buttons, I use a tooth brush and dish soap, it depends on the soil the buttons come from. Copper coins I use the same as buttons, never rub a silver coin with your fingers, just dunk then in water, if need be go to a coin dealer and ask them if your find is a rare one, old silver is quite soft. There are many ways to do this, you can try what different people have tried. I hope this helps.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom