How to clean "delicates"?

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, guys. I'm so new that I haven't had my detector a full week yet. Everything I know I've learned from Landlord Jim, (my local Whites dealer) and here. This site is an INFORMATION HONEYHOLE! A veritable treasure-trove of knowledge from people all over the world!!! And after reading about GW buttons, hammered pennies, roman coins, the last thing I want to do is find something great and then DESTROY IT!!! That'd be my luck. I'm sure its been covered, but I can't find any advice/facts about cleaning, restoring, and preservation of these awesome pieces that you all find. I watched a vid on you tube, and someone commented that clean-up on old colonial coins/buttons is easier if they aren't allowed to dry with the dirt on. I thought that when an item is recovered, to put it in a bottle half full of demineralized water would help. Is that a bad idea? :dontknow: Not that here in Michigan I'm going to find any GW buttons or colonial coppers! I am planning a trip to Ct. to visit family soon. This site is so inspiring to read every day!!! Thanks to everyone for their posts!!!

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Woolite is the best way to clean your delicates. At least that is what my mother said.:laughing7: Oh...you mean your delicate finds......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't clean many fine items, but here is my starting point.
I use a vibrating tumbler half filled with plastic media. The plastic media is only used to hold an old 35mm film container that is half filled with LAUNDRY detergent. Not dish washing soap! I usually check after an hour of tumbling. Hay, it cleanse the buttons on your clothes without damage and removes the dirt. Got the small vibrating tumbler at Harbor Freight. Try it on a newer coin or button first to work out your cleaning time. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

AusTexDude

Aug 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woolite is the best way to clean your delicates. At least that is what my mother said.:laughing7: Oh...you mean your delicate finds......

Damn you lol... I was about to post that and figured I better see if anybody else beat me to it and lo and behold, bam... you beat me to the punch.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to scroll down on this forum to the chapter called "Cleaning and Preservation". There are a lot of useful tips in there.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget to scroll down on this forum to the chapter called "Cleaning and Preservation". There are a lot of useful tips in there.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
O

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oops. Thanks, Jim. I'm also not very good at finding things much past "General discussion" and "Finds of the day"!!! You're the best, amigo!!! (Jim is my "Homie-Wan-Kinobe").

Last edited:

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an ultrasonic cleaner, but not a run-of-the-mill one. I have a UC-20D from this site.

Plain old water works well. However, for some things, vinegar, orange cleaner, and plain old dish detergent work as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread