Mooa182
Jr. Member
- Joined
- Oct 6, 2008
- Messages
- 20
- Reaction score
- 0
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab CTX 3030
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
Ok I started detecting recently and am having problems getting deep with the frozen ground. I am using brute force trying to just get 1" into the ground. What are you all using to dig heavily frozen ground?
Just kidding. A regular trowell won't work. You need something to break the crust. Once you break the crust the ground under that will be workable. Maybe a narrow shovel, not a regular shovel but one used to dig 5- 6 inch hole. You can buy at hardware store. They are skinny and long. I don't know the exact name for them but you can figure it out. Once you use the heavy machinery, then the digging trowell will work fine. The ground here in Ohio only freezes down about 2-3 inches max all winter. You can detect in the winter









