How to distinguish new posts from already-read topics w/ followups I havent read yet

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How to distinguish new posts from already-read topics w/ followups I haven't read yet

Since the the forum got its big update recently, I've found it frustrating to visit the site, and in fact I don't come by as much. Because it's just not so easy to avoid re-reading stuff I've already read before.

I believe that what is happening is that anything new in a topic -- a topic I haven't read at all, or even just some followups to an existing topic - make the topic show as boldface (and bump it up to the top of the list). I would like to have some way to distinguish which topic is new -- unread by me at all -- and which topic just has new replies.

And, ideally, some way on the topics that I've already read with the new replies for me to click and jump to the newest replies.

Otherwise, I find myself re-reading topics that I've already read before. And it's hard to get to the newly posted stuff, where there might be something newly-posted that I'd be interested in reading.

It seems like the old forum didn't have this problem, though I can't recall exactly what I did to recognize the posts with just new replies and how to get directly to those new replies.

Is there something I am missing? Or can this be a suggestion for some sort of improvement? Thanks.

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Forum Actions > General Settings > TreasureNet - Pro (scroll all the way down left side)

There are three different forum appearance optuions. What seems to be the issues for most users is the "folder/file" icon.. Located to the left of each post/topic.. even confuses me.. But once you change the forum's appearance as I've stated above.. you can see a difference.

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I'm already on TreasureNet - Pro setting...

I do notice different color combinations on the folders. Blue with a red tag, yellow with a blue tag, yellow with a red tag. Not clear what means what. And even if it's telling me that there's a thread with new posts that I haven't read yet, how do I get to just those new posts, so I don't have to start at the top again and re-read what I already read?

Screen Shot 2012-05-24 at 2.20.38 PM.png

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Explanation Needed: What my post is pointing out is that when you goto the bottom of the General settings page.. There is a small window (TreasureNet Pro) that shows you three different options when viewing the forum.. I thought that this would give you a chance to view in all three modes to see if any or none of them help you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Jeep is saying is to try the "TreasureNet Option" version, see if you like it better, Pro is the default version...

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, unfortunately changing the look of the page doesn't address the fundamental issue, of not being able to distinguish topics I've never seen from topics I've seen with unread followups, and to navigate directly to the unread followups in the latter case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread