How to find a forgotten location?

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago, close to 50, I was looking over a piece of real estate with a quite aged RE broker. I noticed several foundations and asked about them. He told me that it had been a German Beer Garden, burned in the furor of WWI. I am unable to recall the exact location. I doubt assessor's maps would help, as it would be listed simply in the owner's name. Any thoughts? Newspaper archives perhaps? Seems to me it would be a productive place to search.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I would suggest a Sanborn fire insurance map.

Newspapers are also a likely source - odds are good they advertised their establishment. Many on-line newspaper archives have a search feature.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
W

Warrington

Apr 18, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest a Sanborn fire insurance map.

Newspapers are also a likely source - odds are good they advertised their establishment. Many on-line newspaper archives have a search feature.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

In so far as ads are concerned, I have no idea of the name. Sanborn Atlases,; my experience is that they only show the central business district and areas immediately adjacent. For instance there is one for my town; my house does not appear as it is to far distant.

I notice your reference to www.operationpaperback.org. A long deceased friend's mother formed the Merchant Marine Library, I wonder if it still exists.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WW1 saw lots of anger toward Germans. In the town of Lovington, IL, there was a German family living about a mile from town. Word spread that the townspeople were going to burn the house. The quick thinking German painted a huge American flag on the side of the house. No one would dare torch the American flag and the house was spared. The American flag is still painted on the side of the house to this day. Gary

lovington.jpg

Last edited:

BugOutBob

Jan 20, 2018
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know what county?

Many libraries have older maps and newspapers scanned and loaded online. I found many of my sites by cross referencing names from the newspapers to old Platt maps. If you know the county and want to shoot me a PM the details you remember I don't mind doing some quick digging (pun intended) and see what I can find.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was burned I would think that the old newspapers would have reported that and the location would probably be there too.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could call the local historical society. Usually a county has an official or unofficial historian.

CrankyBuzzard

Jul 6, 2020
North Texas USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and White's Spectra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overlook genealogical groups for the area. If the owners were of German descent, there may still be family in the area and the genealogical groups may be able to assist as well.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the old forestry maps show old roads and home sites. Maybe it was just old topographical maps.. Try the library. I got a lot from an aged Broker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions