What's new

How to find a NEWLY lost ring

Gare

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2012
Messages
13,421
Reaction score
30,266
Golden Thread
0
Location
Canton Ohio Area
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a member of the ringfinders


Monday 21 of Oct. I got a call from a guy . He wanted me to drive 3 hours one way to find a ring they lost the previous Saturday night. i sure did not want to drive to Pa He offered me $200 to come there. I still refused . He then told me it was a very expensive ring and told me $300 and really wanted it back. Asked me if i could be at his place Tuesday at 4 pm. I Told him yes. In the mean time he had rented a detector and was trying to find it. I kept giving setup instructions and telling him how to swing the detector. Tuesday morning I got a call at 8:45 am requesting my services in Heartville,oh. Lady's husband lost his ring in a corn maze. I went up there at fond the ring in less then a hour. On my way back home i got a call from the guy in Pa. He told me he had tried what i said and THEY FOUND IT !!! YEA !!! he had did what i told him and wham they got it. I was REALLY HAPPY for them.
So before i say any more I am going to ask you all what or how would you do to find a freshly lost ring ?
you know methods , Swings, Settings ?
 
I am kind of DISAPPOINTED not one reply so far. Let me see if i can give a few hints then.

1. Try and get a ring made of of the same composition the lost ring is made like. Get a SMALL RING type
2. Lay the ring on the ground and BACK the SENSITIVITY to where you can just hear the ring clearly. You do not want to find anything else in the ground just the ring.
3. I turn off most of my Discrimination
4. KEEP THE COIL FLAT ON THE GROUND and RUB the GROUND ALWAYS NOT EVER LIFTING THE COIL.
5. SWING BOTH WAYS BEFORE moving 1/2 length of the coil.
6. Mark where you are detecting. I lay wo0den colored markers.
7. BE SURE to have a CAMERA with you when you find and return the ring !!!

Hope this helps

If i have missed anything please feel free to add your comments
 
Since it was just dropped, the sound should be noticeably different than a buried object, as the ring will practically be touching the coil. That will save alot of digging. I recently found a fellas ring that way with my Fisher F-75 LTD. Once I found the ring, it was a loud, sharp chirp. Definitely keep the coil scraping the ground.
 
I thought some experienced people on here would touch on one main thing but i guess not!
 
I'd set my F-75 in jewelry mode (JE) and sweep fast but with the coil 8" to 10" off the ground to cover as much area as I could in as little time as possible and eliminate a lot of the buried targets.

I never rub the ground with my coil. Contact can give false positives . . . or nicks. But then I sweep fast for better target separation.
 
Last edited:
I would first ask loser to narrow down where he/she was when ring was lost. Then do a quick visual inspection of area. It may be laying out to see.
Start in most likely place. Sorry if this is obvious
 
I recently had to find a gold ring that my daughter lost. My game plan was to..hunt in all metal, holding the coil a bit higher off the ground in an attempt to try and only pick up stronger surface signals.

I watched the ground carefully as I swung and ended up seeing it laying in the grass right before the coil passed over it.

It was a small ring so I was probably lucky.

Of course we both looked the area over first several times.
 
I dont get what you are wanting people to say here. Fresh drop rings are the easiest thing to find. Most detectors have a noticeably different response for surface targets compared to buried ones. The ring is almost NEVER where the person says they lost it. If it can be found, it usually takes less than 10 minutes.

I have recovered rings in ditches, rivers, beaches, yards, parks, fields and even once in a purse.
 
Correct, big coil to cover the ground, swing slowly just off the surface, hopefully theres not a lot of junk, ive found a few, sometimes you just see them...
 
I'd notch out the iron and keep my coil a little higher for speed and because it's a surface loss. One should be able to grid the area and find It quickly from the clear gold tone. I would of gone and found it for him for the $300.
 
OK will ALL my MACHINES I back off the sensitivity. Lower the the Discrimination . I scrub the ground. When i pass over a target i hear the double beep. I was hoping someone one would chime in on the double beep. Keep the coil ON THE GROUND and TRY IT !!!
 
OK will ALL my MACHINES I back off the sensitivity. Lower the the Discrimination . I scrub the ground. When i pass over a target i hear the double beep. I was hoping someone one would chime in on the double beep. Keep the coil ON THE GROUND and TRY IT !!!

The interesting thing...I don't really notice my nugget detectors ever giving double beeps on shallow targets. I'm using DD coils. I DO know what you mean though.
 
Lay a object on top of the ground. run the coil over it and tell me you do not get a double hit. Then back off the sensitivity and retry it. if you want I will come out and show you what i mean and after you can take me DETECTING :)
 
If I was "scrubbing" a surface ring I'd get the overload alarm and not a double beep. I found a very nice ring on a first base line at a ballfield that way.

May depend on a DD vs. concentric coil.
 
Since it is newly lost, I use no discrimination. Swing the coil slowly and check out every signal. Since it was just lost, it should be right on top in the grass/leaves etc. and no digging should be required. I just found one for a couple last month, and using these methods (which is what I do for every newly lost ring) I was able to find the ring in 15 minutes time. They had told me they had 7 people out there for 3 hours looking for it the day before I got there. The $5000.00 beauty was just sitting in the grass where it could not be seen by the naked eye.
 
OK will ALL my MACHINES I back off the sensitivity. Lower the the Discrimination . I scrub the ground. When i pass over a target i hear the double beep. I was hoping someone one would chime in on the double beep. Keep the coil ON THE GROUND and TRY IT !!!

If you want to say something, just say it. Dont try to coax people into making the statement you want to agree with.
 
Lay a object on top of the ground. run the coil over it and tell me you do not get a double hit. Then back off the sensitivity and retry it. if you want I will come out and show you what i mean and after you can take me DETECTING :)

I'll have to give that a try. Maybe I've just mentally blocked hearing the double hit and automatically focus on the center.
I have operated older coin detectors that had very distinct double hits to the extreme of having to rely on a centering mode to recover targets. My nugget detector has a centering mode, but I only use it if I'm trying to center a possible coin very accurately.

I'll let you know.
 
I've been on the ring finders since it started, I have found hundreds of lost items - I have no clue what the hell you're talking about???
 
I've been on the ring finders since it started, I have found hundreds of lost items - I have no clue what the hell you're talking about???

And who exactly are you responding to? ???
 
I would first ask loser to narrow down where he/she was when ring was lost. Then do a quick visual inspection of area. It may be laying out to see.
Start in most likely place. Sorry if this is obvious

You are right. It really does help if the person can describe where they were when they noticed they had lost the ring and in as much detail as possible. Once, a woman showed me how she noticed her ring was gone when standing on the church steps. On either side of the steps were bushes or hedges, maybe azaleas. Sure enough, the little ring was suspended within the bush, just resting on some tiny leaves and branches.

And welcome to the forum!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom