How to go about starting a dig site

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
Ok. Question. Looking for tips, and don’t really want to destroy the spot we’ve recently located on our land. We are surrounded with cliffs caves creeks and waterfalls on this Eastern Ky property I now call home. Couple weeks ago I stumbled upon a rock overhang that I hadn’t really noticed before. I’ve posted some pics in couple other threads of what we’ve been finding. We are basically raking up the top dirt sediment so far and have produced bags of chert chips, some nice chunks chert, and as of yesterday we have found 3 different style points or blades. Actually finding the chert chunks and chips that made the blades/points. All on ground under chalky sediment dust. I’m gently raking / pulling top layer and carrying 5 gallon bucket down to creek to wash everything. Trying to do this the right way. I’ll post couple picks of the spot we’re working. Any advice appreciated. Thanks again! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583422647.203391.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583422668.943790.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583422701.848795.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1583422727.464495.jpg

We’ve been focused around the large rock so far. Seems like it was the workbench to me so it made sense. Also. Added pics of the large smooth “hammer stone”. It was sitting on top of work table rock along with tiny pieces of chert caught in rain divots of the work table rock. That’s what got me looking and spot has produced with minimal work. Thanks let me know. We are heading out again today

Upvote 0
Hey Quinn, that looks like a very promising site. You mentioned washing everything in the creek, I have had better luck just running the dry material through a screen. If you find something that is questionable, or is an artifact I would wash those. If you are screening all if it in the creek it will foul up the water eventually. Also to me, it just makes mud which makes it harder to spot anything. Thats just my two cents, good luck.

I love those overhanging rock shelters. As kids and into our 20's we would hike up hollows in the Hocking Hills in Ohio and camp, shoot 22's and have a great time. Although I walked fields (countless miles) I never once thought to dig the floors we were camping in! One hollow we used to hike and camp was filled with hundreds of those types of overhangs.

Remember if it is a well used shelter they would keep it clean and throw all the debitage off the front bank. Sometimes it is worth digging from the bank in. It seems we always want to start sifting from the back wall but then you end up having large piles of dirt dumped off the edge and the edge can hold a lot of artifacts. I also hunt the little creeks in the area. If you see flint in those old dry creeks they will hold artifacts.
I never liked doing this but if you own it and have water above you you can use a black pipe that comes in rolls and create a ton of pressure down below and wash out the shelter and get everything. Just use large screens to wash everything through. Not a fan of that but you will save years and get everything quickly.
Good luck

You can see the large mounds at the drip lines in your pics. it may have been dug long ago or these maybe piles will hold a lot of fun worn out tools.

Last edited:
We do own it. Actually discussed raking mulch floor at first leveled off ground below overhang shelter it’s just like you said, after drip line bank it’s a hill / bank that rolls down to the main creek. This overhang is also cornered where another large creek branch creek joins into the main large creek. Also thinking about sifting the entire rock/sand catch beach where feeder creek branch hits the big creek. Anyhow. Thanks again for all the feedback very helpful.

If you see flint flakes in the creek wait till summer when the water is low and find a bunch. Kentucky and Tennessee have a lot of cliff shelters. They used them in the fall mostly during nut harvest. Be sure to check all the large flat rocks for cupped out areas. I find a lot of mortars, nut stones and acorn pestles. Seems to be the style around here.

Looks VERY promising. A battery powered leaf blower can help clean up the area, down to the surface. I would start far back in there, & blow out the front. Then, I would start searching the mound right in front at the top of the bank . It is easy to make a portably sifter to screen everything out, & you won't need water.
If you need any ideas on using/building a portable sifter, let me know.

Last edited:
There are many ways to approach a rock shelter dig, each shelter is unique, keep an open mind and above all, keep it safe and fun. Take your time.

Attachments

• DSCF1553.JPG
    DSCF1553.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF1612.JPG
    DSCF1612.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 137

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back