How to properly ask for permission

Mar 25, 2021
NW Indiana
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may seem like a dumb question. However, I’ve never done it before. This is all new to me. There are some historic home in my area, and I would love to ask permission to hunt there. Could someone be so kind as to explain:

1. The right way to ask a property owner.
2. Any specific things to say
3. Ive read some places that verbal permission is not a good idea (that its better to get written permission). Is this true?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might help - wear a USA or tee shirt with flag on it
i always thought if you had a shirt made with
American history saver - American historical society
or your state name (Indiana)history saver on it
Indiana historical society
something to that affect

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I like that, Casper. Hope you're healing up good so you can get back out and kill it with some watery glitter finds!

It's really a try and see kinda thing. I find that if I catch the homeowner out in the yard but not busy and stike up a conversation and after the weather or whatever, explaining the hobby and that you are just out trying to find a spot so that you can enjoy but maybe not dig all the bottle caps that are in the park...or something along those lines... If they show some interest in what valuable objects that you will find on their property, offer to show them all your finds while grabbing yiour trash pouch and that if you find anything special or unique that you will sjhow it and offer to let them have it. It doesn't hurt to be presentable. No tux, but shaved, combed, and the T shirt isn't a rag, etc. Treat them with respect. Tell them you always dispose of all the trash you dig and never leave any type of mess. I like to show them my lesche and screwdriver so they don't think I'm going to be digging with a shovel or be digging holes. I like to tell them they'll never know I was there... GOOD LUCK!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
One other. The historic homes might be harder, for sure! Try not so perfectly manacured yard homes with lots of age. (older homes) I like seeing what is really old landscaping, or you can just tell that it hasn't changed much in 100 or so years. Or, sometimes the ones you get permission for and just don't look promising are killer! I got permission on a 800ft tiny old farm home that the "notice of change in zoning" sign went up on. I stopped and asked since it was going to be demolished soon anyway and got permission. He went on to tell me that his grand dad used to have a veggie stand in the front yard... My first target was a standing liberty quarter and the whole yard was loaded with silver and over two rolls of wheat pennies. Out here, sometimes, I'll do decent on 50's and even 1960's yards. I don't go out of my way to get permission on such a new home, but if the opportunity arises and you want to get out, ask. If I'm at my buddies new place..."hey man, can I run my detector over your yard?" "Sure, I met my new neighbor and I'll bet he'd let you do his and there used to be a...."

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might help - wear a USA or tee shirt with flag on it
i always thought if you had a shirt made with
American history saver - American historical society
or your state name (Indiana)history saver on it
Indiana historical society
something to that affect

Pro USA shirts, yes, Historical (hysterical) Society ones...no. I've talked with lots of folks with old houses and more often than not, they are not big fans of some of those societies. Some are just a real pain in their backside when it comes to repairs, renovations, and even paint colors of their houses. Worse than HOA's in most cases. Meeting person to person is the best. Arrive clean and presentable. Have a cute little kid with you if possible :laughing7:. Use the word recover rather than dig. Offer to look for anything they may have lost if they can give you a good description. Offer to demonstrate your expertise if they seem reluctant. Unless you know there is a exceptionally valuable item on the property, I'd avoid any written paperwork....right off the bat anyway. That can turn some people off in a hurry and take a potential yes into a firm no. I do keep permission, division of finds, and liability forms in my truck in case the owner insists on them, but, I let them bring it up.

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing I hope to ask for permission to a few new places..It’s a tough process these days knocking on somebody’s door with the current conditions out there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread