What's new

How To Tell IF Minelab 1000 Battery Casing is Water Proof?

slider66

Owner Treasure Coast Metal Detectors
🥇 Charter Member
🛒 Supporting Vendor
Joined
Nov 14, 2013
Messages
1,488
Reaction score
1,989
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast Of Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I took my minelab 1000 to Kellyco for repair. I purchased it used. They replaced the battery for me and now I would like to use it in the water. When I look at where the unit plugs into the battery casing I don't see how water would not seep into the plug. Will the screw on plug be enough to seal the plug so water does not seep into the holes of the casing? I am a little reluctant to submerse the unit. Thanks in advance.
 
Upvote 0
The Excal is a waterproof detector...its made to put under water. :dontknow:
 
The Excal is a waterproof detector...its made to put under water. :dontknow:

I am aware of that but when I look at where the unit plugs into the battery I don't see any sort of rubber seal around the cap where it screws in. Shouldn't there be a rubber seal or something inside the cap to ensure that there is a tight seal to the battery connector?
 
I am aware of that but when I look at where the unit plugs into the battery I don't see any sort of rubber seal around the cap where it screws in. Shouldn't there be a rubber seal or something inside the cap to ensure that there is a tight seal to the battery connector?
Oh, now I get you...I don't know but someone will give you an answer very shortly.
 
There is no o ring persue, we put silicone lube on threads of cap, there should be a flat rubber gasket that fits down flat on the 2 pole contacts and the guide and the slide slide through the middle of the gasket.






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
on my two excals. I installed an O ring on the battery threads. I also put silicone lube on (plumbers), Never had a problem
 
on my two excals. I installed an O ring on the battery threads. I also put silicone lube on (plumbers), Never had a problem
Where would I buy silicone lube? Do you have a name? Thanks for all the information. Also do you know what size O ring you used?
 
Plumbers silicone.... comes in a same container you can get it about anywhere. Do check to see that there is a rubber seal that goes over your prongs... that needs to be there. If not check on your charger there may be a spare there over those prongs. Those battery prongs are water tight sealed. Worse case...... kelleyco should have a limited warranty on all repairs. I know ive used it lol.

Dew
 
Does it have a black rubber seal like this? Battery.webp
 
Does it have a black rubber seal like this?View attachment 949898

That is the only stock seal that comes on it....If your looking for anything else it isn't there...

Silicone can be found in plumbing departments including Home Depot, Lowes as well as Ace Hardware..






American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
 
Last edited:
I use two thin sections of a soft rubber washer, just transfer the hole locations and cut them out. Put some silicone lube between the rubber seals and you're good to go. both the battery pod and the molded connector faces are flat, adding the additional section insures that you'll get enough compression when tightened to form a good seal. I've been doing this for a couple of years now with no problems in a pretty hostile hunting environment.
seal.webp
 
It is sealed inside and a total of 3 places, I have only seen one ever leak and it was coming in from the cable. You are more likely to have a battery cable failure if it is a Excalibur II, all will have a break in the wire in time...and act like this...

OBN0222.webp

 
OBN, what can we do to prevent this problem in the excel ll?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom