How to tell real gold without hallmark or marking inside

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just go to a pawn shop or PM-coin shop and ask what they'd pay and they'll test it and give you an offer and your not under any obligation to sell. A jeweler will more often want to charge you.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older gold pieces and even some newer, smaller pieces sometimes aren't marked.

Here's a link to the typical gold test kit as used by virtually every jeweler and gold buyer. I've used these kits for decades.

But you need to understand the correct way to use it. These acid tests make it extremely easy to tell if an item is gold plated or just gold-colored metal, but you have to know how to test gold-filled pieces because the gold outside is often rather thick, so you have to be sure to go deep enough to go through the sold gold exterior since it's the inside metal you need to test.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just go to a pawn shop or PM-coin shop and ask what they'd pay and they'll test it and give you an offer and your not under any obligation to sell. A jeweler will more often want to charge you.
I had a kit at the counter, ask and they received the free answer.
Some just wanted to know, some were looking to sell.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Older gold pieces and even some newer, smaller pieces sometimes aren't marked.

Here's a link to the typical gold test kit as used by virtually every jeweler and gold buyer. I've used these kits for decades.

But you need to understand the correct way to use it. These acid tests make it extremely easy to tell if an item is gold plated or just gold-colored metal, but you have to know how to test gold-filled pieces because the gold outside is often rather thick, so you have to be sure to go deep enough to go through the sold gold exterior since it's the inside metal you need to test.

I remember a jeweler rubbing the gold on a certain stone for test

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember a jeweler rubbing the gold on a certain stone for test

Yes, that's the test I showed. It's by far the most common test and is easy enough to do, and the kit is cheap enough, that anyone can handle testing on their own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread